Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 ELK Cartridge Poll - The Silent Majority Speaks >

ELK Cartridge Poll - The Silent Majority Speaks

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ELK Cartridge Poll - The Silent Majority Speaks

Old 08-03-2005, 07:34 AM

Default ELK Cartridge Poll - The Silent Majority Speaks

Well, when you....

** Remove the peanut gallery that haven't taken an elk, yet want to enlighten you about "elkrifles"and
** You ask elk hunters who have taken elk for their FAVORITEelk cartridge (not their past nostalgic childhood cartridge, not their"just adequate-just got by" cartridge --- NO, their GOOD one, their BEST one--- their FAV)....

Then you run into a prettyinteresting group of elk hunters. AND I MIGHT ADD, the "30-06 power and up" group and the MAGNUMS in particular,made a super-strong showing.

Poll was open about 3 days and open to anyone from the forum to respond to the following question:
What is your favorite elk cartridge that you've actually taken elk with?

Final Poll Results:
2- 270 Win
1- 7mm-08
5- 30-06
3- 7mm Remington Magnum
1- 300 Winchester Short Magnum
5- 300 Winchester Magnum
1- 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
6- 338 Winchester Magnum
1- 338 Remington Ultra Magnum
1-340 Weatherby Magnum
1- 338-378Weatherby Magnum
2- 375 Holland & Holland Magnum
1- 416 Remington Magnum
---
30 Total

Now, if Iam answering a newbies question, "270 for elk?" then I will most likelypoint outthese poll resultsto them, a pollof current actual elk hunters and their current actual favorite choices for elk cartridges and let the newbie figure outwherehe or shewants to choose to "position themself" versus the "veterans" choices. Then they can figure out whether they want to spring for adifferent rifle for elk hunting or not.

They may opt to go with the .270, and if so, thenI guess that's fine, but they'll do so knowing (per the poll) that thereare a TON of folks, experiencedelk hunters,who opt for something significantly more powerful. They'll be making their decision with something more than just some 10 or 20 or 30 posts of hardargued"smoke" blown up their skirt.

EKM
Old 08-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ELK Cartridge Poll

Long live the 270the god rifle. But on a serious note, I wanted a new rifle last year and bought a 300 mag which is my new elk rifle. And I got tired of listening to Elkcamp and bought something i wouldnt have to argue with him anymore. But the 270 still kicks A$$
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

270 is a great rifle! Killed many elk in there days. However... I am a 300 Win Mag kind of guy... Actually a Bow guy now!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Chuckle,
So how do you like the 300WinMag (strongly represented in the poll I might add)?
EKM
Old 08-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

I love it, put a limbsaver recoil pad on it and it kicks less than my 270 mountain rifle. shot a box of shells in it when i sighted her in and shoulder wasnt sore at all. I killed two animals with it last year, a buck and cow elk. My 270 had a problem so i had to use the 300 for deer. blew a big hole in it. Ill stick with the 270 for deer.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Love it!!!! However the best Cartrige to date for elk is about a 400 gr. Arrow!!!