Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Muzzle Break, your opinions >

Muzzle Break, your opinions

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muzzle Break, your opinions

Old 07-20-2005, 09:41 AM

Default RE: Muzzle Break, your opinions

I second the Walkers Game Ears and my preference is for the KDF muzzlebrakes. BUT IMHO the 300WSM doesn't need a brake. The cartridge just doesn't have enough recoil to merit a brake and the things that come with the installation and use of one. As was said, a quality Pachmeyer Decelerator or Simms/R3 pad will be MORE than enough to tame the lil stubbie.

On another note, that POC 10x40xwhatever wondertube scope you mentioned on another post will be USELESS with a brake. After you fire one shot the glass will shatter and fly out of that papertowel tube scope. Just be forewarned. Also, the Lead Sled IS a neat tool. BUT I have seen to many scopes turned to junk when fired from fixed rests that don't allow a moderate bit of movement or recoil absorption when fired. The energy has to go somewhere, the weakest link is typically the crosshairs/turret assembly of a scope. Just be careful here.

Good luck,
RA
Old 07-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also, the Lead Sled IS a neat tool. BUT I have seen to many scopes turned to junk when fired from fixed rests that don't allow a moderate bit of movement or recoil absorption when fired. The energy has to go somewhere, the weakest link is typically the crosshairs/turret assembly of a scope. Just be careful here.
Wouldn't this be exactly opposite? IF the gun is not moving under recoil then the scope is not moving under recoil so how could the scope get damaged just sitting there?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 PM

If recoil sensitivity is an issue then a muzzle brake might actually cause you to flinch more than you did before. It may kick less but the blast you feel on your face is going to be significantly higher than you expect. And yes I will agree with everyone else, you can hurt your hearing after only one shot.
You would be better served by putting on a better recoil pad or going to reduced power loads. The .300WSM is plenty powerfull enough where you can tone it down and still have more than enough gun to kill.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:00 PM

bigbulls it's all about energy absorption and disappation. The energy released when the bullet is fired is the same regardless whether the gun is fired or not. But when the gun is held stationary, the energy isn't disappated instead it is distributed throughout the gun and the weakest link will lose. The weakest link in any scope is the reticle assembly.

Imagine rining a bell. If you whack it good while it is held firm you run the risk of splitting the bell. If it is free to move the energy from the blow is distributed. Same way with a large truck hitting a wall versus a movable object, the more energy that can be absorbed and shed through movement, the less violent the reaction too acceleration/deceleration.

I can promise you that EVERY single year I will get customers who bring scopes back with problems that are DIRECTLY related too the gun having been fired while affixed too an immovable object.

It's not really a matter of pure physics, more an example of the limits of a scopes components,
RA
Old 07-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Just saying, if a rifle needs a muzzle-break its either poorly made, its too light for the cartridge, or someone's shooting something too big for them. I weigh 200 lbs at 5'8" so i'm pretty stocky and my cut off is a 300win mag on recoil in a 8 1/2 to 9 lbs. rifle. I shot my cousins 300win mag in a winchester mod 70 that weighed 7 1/4 lbs. and oh my god did it hurt. I believe muzzle breaks have their place but not in this guys gun safe.

Noise is my biggest enemy against flinch. Of course at the range hearing protection is a must but not in the field. Hunters already have enough gadgets to carry around fumbling with. One hunter said to the other hunter did you see that huge bull, the reply was nope he wasn't on my gps.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Many opinions here. I prefer muzzle brakes on all my Elkrifles. They work for me. At the range I use hearing protection, in the field where it's usually 1 shot I do without.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

At the range I use hearing protection, in the field where it's usually 1 shot I do without.
And experience has shown that even a single shot fired with a braked rifle without hearing protection can result in permanent hearing loss.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper
And experience has shown that even a single shot fired with a braked rifle without hearing protection can result in permanent hearing loss.
Yes I agree for some people. My 26 + years hunting has proved different.
Smoking, no sun screen, heavy drinking bla bla bla can all cause damage in some way to some people... not hear.
I did not advocate anything here, just stating my entitled opinion, Thank you very much
Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Montana Bob

Yes I agree for some people. My 26 + years hunting has proved different.
Smoking, no sun screen, heavy drinking bla bla bla can all cause damage in some way to some people... not hear.
I did not advocate anything here, just stating my entitled opinion, Thank you very much
please remain clam.....reach back.....and....unbunch your panties. [8D] Just funnin man
Old 07-28-2005, 11:14 AM

With regard to the muzzl ebrake the definately work. My friend has a 30-06 browning with the bos M.B. on it and while sighting it in for him during the summer with a t-shirt on the recoil was minimal. HOWEVER, while i was at the range everone around me was questioning what in the world i was shooting because of how loud it was. They never suspected that it was on a 30-06.

I would go with a good recoil pad. I bought the simms for my 308 and it works great, cuts the recoil done tremendously, doesn't affect accuracy (except maybe keeps you from flinching as much after repeated shots), doesn't look ungly and you won't have to worry about hearing loss (and only runs about $25.00 i think.)

I would try the recoil pad first before you spend more money. Takes about five minutes to put on.