Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 muzzle break good or bad? >

muzzle break good or bad?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

muzzle break good or bad?

Old 06-23-2004, 03:37 PM

Default muzzle break good or bad?

I am having a muzzle break installed on my 338 Win Mag. what are the pros and cons of having this done. Does it affect ballistics? Accuracy? What say you!

Dr. Mike
Old 06-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: muzzle break good or bad?

i have never heard or seen them affect ballistics or accuracy, main pro is they work good to reduce recoil, main con is they make your gun louder(i think alot louder)
Old 06-23-2004, 04:30 PM
bigcountry

I have seen them affect accuracy on some guns. Especially if the machining is not good. Basically if the brake is machined off, it can cause turbulance on the bullet or can cause inconsistent recoil so when the bullet exits the muzzle it might be closer to one side of the brake than the other, causing pressure differences. I have especially seen this on a traditions inline.

They can be difficult to clean. Added hassle and collect bunch of solvents. I have seen rust from this.

Lastly, makes the gun insanely long for pratical carry. I got friends that swear, they won't take abuse from a rifle and loves them. I figure if I can't shoot it without, I have no business with the gun. There are alot of alternitives. Good recoil pad works wonders. Also you can get a shoulder pad for the range. In the field you won't notice the kick that much or I don't at least.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even the .338 mag isn't too much for a human to shoulder.....but we all have our tolerance levels.....

I personally wouldn't recommend one except on seriously big guns and I mean .378 Wby mag and bigger.

Even then, I can't find a legitimate hunting use for that much power.....targeting is a different matter and if target shooting is the goal the breaks might be real assets
Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 PM

Thanks so much for your responses, keep them coming, they are helpful.

Dr. Mike
Old 06-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

HUH????? Main thing is get ear protection and wear it religously....even when hunting if you value it.........
Old 06-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzle BRAKES!! are good for your shoulder, bad for your ears, and everybody else's ears too!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:12 PM

I have a BAR with the BOSS muzzle brake on it, and I love it. However, it does make it insanely loud compared to a non-ported rifle of the same caliber. Wear some type of ear protection if you value your hearing, especially if you hunt out of box type stands.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:08 PM

i have been hunting for the past 14 years without a muzzle break and unfortunately when i took a hearing test a few months ago it was discovered that even
without a muzzle break on my 30.06 it had depleeted my hearing almost 25%.

my dr. told me that hunting rifle going off will infact damage your ears.beacuse the noise is almost 200 decibles when 40 decibles will start to damage ears. i am getting a muzzlebreak on my new rifle and i do intend on buying some game ears so
the noise of my break wont make my ears ring.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:17 AM

I have been wearing hearing aids since age 38. Nothing gets one's attention, concerning hearing loss like needing hearing aids just to carry on normal business in one's life. That said, no one should engage in shooting without wearing the best hearing protection available. I wear foam ear plugs and ear muffs when I shoot.
The real value in using a muzzle brake is that using one lessens the chance of getting the crescent cut in one's eyebrow, caused by rapidly mounting and shooting the rifle, without having same seated tightly into the shoulder. I can handle firing magnum rifles without a muzzle brake, but I prefer the brake for effect of damping down that sharp recoil.

Quick Reply: muzzle break good or bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.