Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Muzzle Break, your opinions >

Muzzle Break, your opinions

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muzzle Break, your opinions

Old 07-19-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Muzzle Break, your opinions

Am thinking of getting a muzzle break for my .300 WMS

Any opinions? I hunt mostly larger game, going for BB this year.

Anyone else have a .300 with a mb on it? How far does it drop the recoil and how much higher does it up the sound?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzle Break, your opinions

The sound to the shooter will be increased to extreme levels requiring that you never fire a single shot without hearing protection unless you want to suffer permanent hearing loss.My own ears rang for a long time after a single shot while hunting but luckily no permanent measureable damage occured.A friend of mine was not so lucky and a single shot with a braked rifle did cause him some permanent hearing loss.Both of us sold the rifles in question and will never own another brake.A better alternative is to try a premium recoil pad.They can make a huge difference.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Grendle:

I am not a very speedy with a keyboard, this is a good post though:

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1122217

Good Luck,
CE
Old 07-19-2005, 09:50 AM

You asked for opinions,, so here goes. I hate, double hate, triple hate (you get the idea) muzzle breaks. They are loud, they reduce muzzle velocity, they're ugly, and they reduce accuracy. Go buy a LimbSaver recoil pad and put that on your gun. It will do just as much to reduce felt recoil as the brake with out the ear splitting noise. Have you ever tried to clean a gun that has a break on it? It Sucks, sucks, sucks. Another option would be to sell your wsm if it is too much for you and buy a 06, or 280, or 270 etc. So, in my opinion there are many better options than paying good money to put a piece of junk on the end of your barrel.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Shato,if it's to much for ya buy a diffrent gun.
BBJ
Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzle Brakes do work well at taming recoil. My wife shoots a 300-win mag with a muzzle brake. She says it dropped the feltrecoil into the 270/ 25-06 range.
I put a muzzle brake onmy 7mm-STW. I will neverdo thatagain. I love the way my 7mm-STW shoots, I just hate the added noise.
I bought a 375-R.U.M. about 6-months ago. I do not have a muzzle brake on it. I would rather shoot a rifle with a stout kick than loose my hearing.
Look into the Sims LimbSaver recoil pads. They do help a bunch.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't stand them either. They cause far to much muzzle blast and excessive noise. People at the range beside you will hate you. and you better wear hearing protection even while hunting.

If you can't handle the recoil of a particular cartridge then you don't need to be shooting that cartridge. IMHO.

Recoil pads, mercury recoil reducers bedded in the stock, recoil reducing mechanical butt plates will all do what a brake will do but with out the ear splitting noise and blast.

This is coming from someone that gets paid to put them on. If I can talk a customer out of a muzzle brake and into something else I will do it every time.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:54 PM

What would be the best recoil system you would promote BigBulls?

It's not that a .300 is too much for me, but after shooting a box at the range every week for the last year it does get to you after a bit.

Old 07-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The first thing I would reccomend would be a good recoil pad such as Pachmayr or Simms and making sure that the length of pull was correct for you. You can have the stock either shortened or if needed add a spacer between the stock and recoil pad to add length to it. A stock that fits you good is the best cure for recoil.

Second would be a mercury recoil reducer. Bedded either into the forearm or buttstock or both.

However, a good shooting rest such as the Lead Sled will do wonders for your shoulder when shooting from the bench. And that's where it hurts any way................... at the bench. Cause you never feel it in the field shooting at an animal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=152664

http://www.chuckhawks.com/caldwell_lead_sled_syn.htm
Old 07-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vais Muzzle Brake is a very good brake. Go to www.muzzlebrakes.com If a muzzle brake is going to alow you to shoot better, go for it. Out in the field one can use a "Walkers Game Ear" for protection and hearing enhancement. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Muzzle Break, your opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.