Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 5 ~ Hang em High >

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys sorry I have nothing to report on today. I went up and sat in my blind for 4 hours and absolutely nothing showed it self.. I know they are there but have decided to give tham a break. I will be going back out in the morning to where I saw one run across the road on me. I thought they were in there but have not seen any until this morning.. I also saw 5 more moose on the way in and 1 small bear coming out..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-01-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

j76 keep your head up, We know you tried hard. Maybe you will get one more chance to get out.?

Phil nice pics, at least you are seeing some game and you know there are birds there.

I am down in Florida, so I do not understand the hunting from a blind thing.
Why do you guys hunt from a blind? Is there not enough natural cover to hide you? Do you think the turkeys see the blind and it scares them or makes them nervous?

We just sit next to a tree or behind some palmetto bushes.

Anybody else hunting? Anyone heard from Arjuna?

John
Old 05-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

John, I hunt from a blind so that any movement on my part they will not see. The blind I set up behind small fur trees so it is quite hidden. There is quite a few that uses the blinds up this way. Most of them are located around the farms farther south of here though (21/2 to 3 hours away for me). So the pics give you an idea of what I am hunting in and around. The birds are out in the cuttings for the most part around 100 to150 yards. The problem with trying to hunt them is they are older cuttings. There is a lot of thick saplings in them and you couldn't see them at all coming or going after around 20 yards.

Tomorrow's plan is to just take my decoys and set up on the line where I saw one running across the road. I have not seen anyone in that section of the line. I have a hole month just about anyways. I am hoping to nail one while I am on vacation though. Then I can work on my other tag or get lucky and get both done the same day..
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Banned

bornagain, for the most part blinds do not scare them. you can set one up in the middle of a feild and the turkeys will walk right past it and pay no attention to it. there is no need to brush it in. very very few will steer away from it. i figure they are the ones that have been shot at from one. but i have never seen one spook. i have set them up and killed a turkey in an hour or less. they are great for long sits in one spot instead of sitting on the ground you get to sit in a comfy chair. but where they really shine is on rainy days. get in and stay dry!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from a blind only when I'm bowhunting. Just for the movement factor of it. But when I have a shotgun, I like to be able to make that split decision to move even if it is around the tree facing a different direction.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Keep after em Phil!
Landowner called me this mornin, 6:45 this morn a nice Tom walked right next to where I had my blind yesterday!!!! Called me again about quarter to Six tonite, 3 toms out in the field! Man that chapps my butt! I don't have any more time to hunt, told the wife I was done, put al my gear away.............but ain't cleaned the shotgun yet, hmmmmmmmmm
Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

j, maybe you need to tell the wife that the landowner is a little disappointed that the birds are still on his land. He needs somebody to take care of a couple of them so that he can have a bigger crop for harvest which will increase his profit for the year plus it will help out the local economy because with more crop there is less chance that prices will raise in the stores. In turn that helps out with a family's spending on groceries which will leave a little extra cash just in time for Mothers Day!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are able to get back out j76, I hope you have some great luck on them! Actually I just hope you get to give them a few more trys at least.. Good Luck to you.

Well, I went again this morning with nothing new to report on.. But, I am not giving up.. I will be back at it again Friday and Saturday.. I most likely will spend most of my time where I was today. I saw a tom or jake run across the road heading in there. I really could not say for sure as the way it ran across. All I can really say is that it looked to have been a decent bird. The head color was just a glowing lol. I am thinking I will put a night cap on one yet.. I never hunted it as I had been hunting from my blind site.

I took a pic of the area so you can see it is the same but, very different when it comes to the amount of people traveling it.. There is a ton of bird droppings on the lines. So I am heading right back in early in the morning. I just have a hard time wondering why nothing is talking back at my calls.. Anyways here is the picture.. Notice no road!! It is back there quite a long ways. Notice how little green grass and clover is showing. I am hoping it will get growing pretty quick as I think the green stuff will make a better game changer.. Anyways I will surely be back at it there in the morning..

This is a section of the 83 miles of field I like hunting in the best..

Good Luck to all still hunting out there or is about to be!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Phil, if the sign is there they are there. I gotta think at least half the birds i have taken either i didn't call at all or i did and they never responded, just came in quiet. Especially in the middle of the day like you take most of yours. Most of the time i get them to respond to a call is early mornin. I think thats when they are the most fired up. I really hate to see ya strugglin with em so far, but have to admit, a little part of me feels better knowin i'm not alone with not being able to make it look easy!!!! Sorry for that!
Worked today, workin tomorrow, and stuff goin on saturday. I cant let ya guys down without a fight! I'm gonna find a way to get out one more time, eaven its its just for a few hours! Season ends sunday! Sat or Sun morn i'll make one quick last ditch effort! Been wayy to long since team 5 had a pic of a dead bird on the scorin thread!!!!!! Go get em boys!!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can only hunt until noon time here. That part of it sucks because I am thinking they are coming out there in the later part of the day. I will keep at them every chance I can get. I do not have to work until Monday and then I will be trying them again on Thursday if my schedule allows me. It should give me Thursday, Friday, and Saturday off to hunt. I am hoping to fill both of my tags so I am not giving up by a long shot.. I should be able to get us a bird on the charts by the end of next week if not sooner.. I have been seeing hens every day so the toms are around someplace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.