Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 5 ~ Hang em High >

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I blew it this morning but, they are surely there. I went up to the place in the lines without any road except for the one I drove in on. I thought I had the time all figured out. But once I started up the hill going in there I noticed it was getting light quicker than I had thought it would. So I gave it more gas trying to hurry in there. Wouldn't you know on the last corner and hill I was rounding right square in the middle of the road was 2 hens and a real nice tom. I am guessing they just came down from their roost just before I came along. The tom ran right beside the truck and as I tried to stop he flew. The hens decided to fly right after he did. I set up for around an hour without any results. I decided to leave them alone so I can give them a decent try in the morning.

On the way back I decided to try another area where some jakes and a very large tom had been just before the season started. I went and set up in the woods this time. I no longer got set up and set down when I heard a gobble. Well he gobbled several times and another gobble chimed in. Unfortunately nothing would show itself. Also I found a place where they were dusting so that is looking up as well. So hopefully tomorrow I will have that big one I saw with the hens.. I hope that I did not bother them to bad this morning..

Good Luck everyone that is still hunting!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Banned

i called 2 long beards in this morning. 40 yards. they were hammering. i only called 2 times to them and they came all the way from about 150 yards in about 20 minutes time. now for the kicker. i didnt shoot either of them. i do not have permission for that property. i always stop on the road right there because from there i can strike birds on the back side of a property i can hunt. i have never struck a bird on this private ground until today. they hit the feild so fast that i had no time to drive off so i just sat there in the truck and watched them come to 40 yards right next to the road. they finally got a little squirrelly and walked back to the woods never to gobble again. pretty sure they are 2 year olds. thats what i get for being lazy and not walking to the back of the property i can hunt. also got 2-2 yr olds and 2- jakes that are hanging with 2 hens located on some public ground so if it comes to it i will just shoot one of those. but i am really hoping to shoot an older bird
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Keep at it guys.

Phil your day is coming soon, get that cap ready so you can bust it on him.

j76 one more morning might be all it takes.

Snapper are you allowed just 1 more bird?

Mottz are you done are still hunting?

John
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

bornagain, yes i only get one more here. 2 bird limit.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Ok i'm gonna be able to get a few hours in tomorrow morning. Think i'm gonna try my other spot again where dad got his. Drove by it this morn on the way to work and looked to be 3 toms in the middle of the feild. Didn't glass em to be sure but they all looked awful big to be hens. Owner said he went back to the woods a couple nites ago just befor dark and seen a tom and a hen by the woodline, so maybe they are roosting there again.
Phil, sounds like yer figuring em out, just a matter of time!
Hope we here something from these other guys pretty soon, we could really use some more birds! Good luck guys!!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:30 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Glad I am tagged out now, it's been snowing today. Crazy Missouri weather.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Spike

Well I have the day off and I'm getting ready to head for the mountains. Having to be to work at 6am kind of puts a damper on getting out during the week. I will report back later to let you all know the outcome. Goodluck Phil and the rest of the members still out there hunting and congrats to the successful hunters!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Good luck Al! Let us know how it goes! I'm headed out in a few minutes too. Man I hope I can get something goin this mornin!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Al,j, Phil, Snapper, good luck out there! I'll head out tomorrow morning. I have a permit for 1 more bird. I could buy another permit for a 3 bird limit but I usally just settle for 2 permits.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys it appears like I am letting everyone down here.. I have no idea on what the heck is going on with these birds here.. I went in and called early this morning as planned and got 1 gobble out of him. I got to see him out where I called yesterday morning around 250 yards away. He appeared to be heading the other direction. No hens with him this time? I waited and waited for him to come back and no luck with him. It just looks like he was heading out of dodge. On the way back I saw one of the toms I had a picture of before the season started and the same thing no response and he high tailed it. He could of had a hen or 2 with him as he was strutting when I first seen him. I did see 8 different hens all alone and a small bear on the drive back.

Also on the drive up in pitch black a young moose came running out in front of me and stopped for a couple of seconds. I really had to come onto the brakes to avoid hitting it! We may have been around a foot apart when it turned and run back in to where it came out.. I did not need to hit one of them big or small they do some real damage.. Just like hitting a brick wall one of those beasts. Real dark to see at that time of morning..

next week after checking my schedule I am off Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Maybe I will have some luck then..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.