Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 5 ~ Hang em High >

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright snapper!! Lookin forward to seeing the pics! jrbsr, what te problem is its a ford Just kidding, but I had to bite on that one!! Keep at em Wilcam! They will come around. Phil, you have some good pics of the birds, now go get em!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mottz
Alright snapper!! Lookin forward to seeing the pics! jrbsr, what te problem is its a ford Just kidding, but I had to bite on that one!! Keep at em Wilcam! They will come around. Phil, you have some good pics of the birds, now go get em!!

Stop picking on the Fords! LOL, I love em up here! I currently have a F 150 ( in which I am handing down to my daughter ) A F 350 Super Duty, a Chevy S 10 which is my run around truck which keeps me in repair bills... A Jeep Grand Cherokee Lerado which the wife uses. That thing had to have the motor replaced at 37,000 miles.. I am not very happy with that one. Good Luck Mottz on getting a bird down for us.. I know you can do it!

Thanks for the comment about the pics! Yeah I am itching to lay a hurting on one or 2 of them. I just have to wait until the 29th and then they will be silent from trying to get by me.. LOL I can hardly wait for it.. I went and checked my shotguns patterns this morning and saw a couple of more toms as well and that is in a completely different area altogether.. I have decided to leave my Ithica home and take my Remmington out this year.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-22-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Nice job snapper. Show us some pics and lets hear the story when you get a chance.

jrbrs good luck on getting your truck running, better luck on getting a bird.

Wilcam keep at it, you will get one in range soon.

Phil nice pics, a couple of those toms, in the pics, will do.

j76, good luck in the morning, you are not going to sleep much tonight, lol.

Mottz, you had some excitement. Change your pants and get back after them, you have some excited birds around only a matter of time.

Good luck everyone else, lets get some more birds on the board. John
Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went back and did some re-reading(down pouring here so I got the afternoon off) and it looks like we are all sitting in good position on the birds. Now with a little patience and execution I hope we can all tag out. Tag soup just doesn't taste that good in the spring! So I'm thinkin there is a good chance to win this thing. Lets go team!!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

well fellas. slipped in this morning(as you know from my previous post i was super early) and got in tight to where i thought they were. starts cracking light and a few minutes later (608 am) a bird gobbles. ugh i hope he is not the one i was setting up for because he is 500 yards away! so i do not panic and hang tight. that bird is hammering on the roost. i am so tempted to take off but i know i got to hang tight to make sure they are not right on me. at 618 am a gobble bellows forth from 100 yards away. whew glad i sat tight and didnt freak out and take off. he gobbles sporadically and i can see a hen in the tree. so i soft yelp to him and he hammers it. i wait a few and soft yelp again. he nails it. after about 20 minutes he pitchs out and a few minutes later she joins him. he shuts up but it is ok because they hang in this area all day so i settle in for the waiting game. he gobbles a few times on his own but i do not call any more. he knows where i was. about 730 here comes a stupid deer. she locked up on my decoy and kept staring at it and finally picked me out and was swinging her head back and forth to watch it and me. then here comes another deer to my left. crap it is about to yep there it goes got my wind! stands behind me and snorts and the other one is still looking at the decoy and me so i stand up to make them run away and shut up. the good thing was that instead of spooking the bird was shock gobbling to the snorts. so they leave and the bird was now gobbling on his own every few minutes. i decide now is the time to make a move. i slip to the crest of the ridge. he is just over it but the green brier is going to make it tough. as i am crawling to get on his side he gobbles and he is probably 50 yards but he seems to be swinging low and coming around to my side. so i crawl back about 6 yards. slide in next to a tree and wait. the jake yelped and the tom hammerd it. so now i am starting to think that his hens have left. either spooked from the deer or just headed off to the nest. i light call and he nailed it. man he is close. 30 yards i figure. then i see the jake. about 30 and i know the tom is behind him. i am ready. the new gun is ready! the jake drops into a slight dip that will funnel them up to my right. a minute passes and then the jake pops out. 35 yards to my right. the hammer comes down on the encore and my eyes are trained on the spot. waiting. and then there he is. he steps behind some green brier and gets to half strutt. as he starts to walk i make the swing. the jake is watching me and the tom steps out and cranes his head to see what the jake does. i am bad contorted but the gun is shouldered and the crosshairs fall on his neck. BOOM! the encore sends forth a 2oz load of hevi 7s and the majestic bird crumbles to the ground in the final step of his life. Rest in peace my friend. thanks for a great hunt.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Phil nice pics, a couple of those toms, in the pics, will do.
John, if I get to see any of them while traveling to my blind I will do my best at getting one of those big fellas.. The one where I set my blind up looks like the biggest of them. I am not sure though as I have so far been only capable to get within 250 yards of him. I set my blind up around 100 yards straight across from where he comes out of the woods at. If all else fails I know of a couple of gated roads that no one will take the time to walk. There are even more birds in those areas. So I am looking pretty good at getting one and hopefully both of them. But it is hunting so who knows.. One thing is for sure I will be out there giving it my best shot.

I agree with you Mottz we can win this tourney! Not only that I have a good feeling we are going to be the Champs for 2013! So come on guys do not let us pressure you none as we know we can do it! Just remember it is sometimes just a big waiting game for those turkeys to show up. I try and find a spot where there will not be as much hunters looking for them and wait them out. If they are in your areas they will come out at some point.

Real nice story snapper! I am glad you waited a little while longer for the bigger bird to come out behind the jake. The team is proud of you, but, we still want to see the pics..

I am not sure if our team captain started today or not. I have no idea on what his weather is currently like. I hope he was able to get out there and give them a try! I also hope he has had some good luck to report if he did..

Good Luck everyone!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-22-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, c'mon snapper show us the pics! You're just making the anticipation grow and you're loving it!!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mottz
Yeah, c'mon snapper show us the pics! You're just making the anticipation grow and you're loving it!!
Yeah or perhaps he is just getting us going as he never got a bird?? Who knows? Without those pics showing up it is the same thing..
Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinkin that snapper may be photoshopping himself with an ostrich(mis-identification of a turkey) or its taking the score card longer to add up his numbers cause it is such a huge bird??LMAO!! I wanna see,I wanna see and I'm gonna pout and cry and complain until I see this bird!! Just razzin ya snapper! Except for the part where I said I wanna see!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Yeah or perhaps he is just getting us going as he never got a bird?? Who knows? Without those pics showing up it is the same thing..
well unlike some people i can and do kill turkeys and i tag out every year so if and when i say i kill one it is the truth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.