Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 5 ~ Hang em High >

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Snapper those are good birds for any hunter.

Went back to public land today, with out even seeing or hearing a bird.
Biologist told us about some poachers getting busted in our area. Also checked the cameras and had coyotes and bobcats but no turkeys.
Going back out tomorrow, not sure what to expect, the weather guys are calling for storms,rain and winds and Sunday possible tornadoes.

Its a quota hunt so you have to go when you are drawn for.

John
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

All right. Got the turkey banquet all finished up last night and what a huge success it was. Now, after I get rid of this after banquet headache , I can focus on getting after some birds. Season starts in 2 days and runs til May 31.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Good luck Mottz, get after em!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bornagain64
Snapper those are good birds for any hunter.

Went back to public land today, with out even seeing or hearing a bird.
Biologist told us about some poachers getting busted in our area. Also checked the cameras and had coyotes and bobcats but no turkeys.
Going back out tomorrow, not sure what to expect, the weather guys are calling for storms,rain and winds and Sunday possible tornadoes.

Its a quota hunt so you have to go when you are drawn for.

John
to me it is getting to be like deer. after you kill so many you tend to start to refine what you "want" to harvest. while i would shoot one of those birds if he came in i do not target them. if the bigger spurred bird had a longer beard then i would target him but not like he is. but like i said if i hunted there and either one came in then i would shoot him but i probably wont even hunt there this year
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I went out today by myself. Windy, windy, windy.
Not a peep.
my buddy had a bird located yesterday, so I walked back about 3/4 of a mile and waited for it to get light. No gobbles, I set up and called until 11:00, then headed out. It was so windy the birds would have had to be sitting on my lap to hear my calling.
They did not check out a bird this whole quota hunt. That is why they call it hunting and not killing.

No scheduled hunts for 2 weeks, and then I have my best chance of the year. Still public land but way better and less people.
Its gonna be a long 2 weeks.

John
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to here about your luck John.. But, who knows what tomorrow will bring?? Keeping at them is the only way to get one..

Good Luck to you as well Mottz, I hope you get to nail one as well. I hope everyone on our team gets one tagged including me when my season opens up.. I did see a big tom this morning crossing the road just across from my 2 acre property line,,, ( This just an empty section of property 6 miles out from my residence..) Nice long beard and all. I will have to check around that area once my season gets closer..

Again Good Luck to all of you!!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-25-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Opening day is today and I'm glad I didn't take off work to go. Only 29 degrees with 30 mph winds doesn't make it the best weather to sit in. But I did see some out in a field on the drive back into town. Fever is getting close!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

No reason to take the day off from work is there? I am sure better days are coming.. Good Luck on nailing the turkeys...
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Way to cold in MO. Still spitting snow here. I have yet to see a bird strut in a field and haven't heard a gobble yet. Our youth season is less than 2 weeks away. Atleast my cuddebacks are showing me they are thinking about it.
Attached Thumbnails Team 5 ~ Hang em High-027.jpg   Team 5 ~ Hang em High-ambush-pics-028.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pics DTC. I need to get my cams out. Phil, its kind of a tradition around here for a few of us to go opening day. Last year on this day it was in the 70's. What a change!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.