Team 5 ~ Hang em High >

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 5 ~ Hang em High

Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I hope you are right snapper.. Here they tend to travel just before our season starts. Sometimes in the places we find them the year before will not produce as they have traveled elsewhere. But normally they will not be all that far away. I saw a large flock of them in a field this morning and drove back to get my camera. When I got there none out. They were right in town though and I do not hunt those ones. But at the same time they will spread out a long ways once they start breeding.

We are sorry to hear about your luck John. But, at least you were able to get back out. That is the only way I know how to get a turkey is by getting out there and doing some calling. Good luck to you and I hope you are able to call in a nice bird..
i have found if we have a big flock(winter flock) they will disperse with a few staying in the area. but those birds have already split as you can see by there only being the 2 hens 2 jakes and the long beard. in the area the best spot for them is the land i can hunt. every year they roost on that hill right behind them and/or in the flat bottom to the left of the pic. all of which is "my area" there is a housing devision on the back side of that hill and way out to the left where the property line is it opens up to big feilds with fence lines. so while the birds might gravitate to that area to feed occassionally (they have several feilds where i can hunt) they tend to stay mostly in my area. and tresspassers are very very rare as the land owner does not play games. lol
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by j76
Gettin slammed by a nice little snowstorm right now, man!!! Spring feels like a long way off! Starting to sound like its like that all over the country tho, not lookin like the birds are doin much in any of the southern states yet even. Lot different from this time last yr.
Yeah, living in the Northern states we can expect it though.. I am not sure as of yet what we will get out of it. It looks and feels like snow here. It was supposed to start around noon today. Nothing as of yet though. They say it could miss us, or we could get up to 10 - 12 inches, or it could stall and give us around 18+ inches.. Now that is they way a weatherman up this ways works..LOL.. Our weather can change a lot though. The rest of the week up around the low to mid 40s.. While I can not hunt turkeys until the end of April I am hoping for some more snow.. That way the turkeys will have to wait longer too. This also will allow me better sledding into my ice fishing place on my days off this week..
Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

i have found if we have a big flock(winter flock) they will disperse with a few staying in the area. but those birds have already split as you can see by there only being the 2 hens 2 jakes and the long beard.
While I do see that in your picture. Sometimes that is not always the case.. I have seen a few birds in a field one day and a few days later the whole flock setting there. But, you have no arguement from me. We all know the grounds we hunt on better than anyone else..
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I took my brother out today for one of his public land hunts. We had some birds gobbling and ready to come in, but they got hung up on the river, and would not come across. We can only hunt until 1:00 on public land, we heard the first gobble at 12:40, so we had to go after them a little harder than normal.
Back to work tomorrow, but I will be back in the woods on Friday- Sunday for another public land turkey hunt.

John
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Funny how ya always seem to be on the wrong side of the fence or the river isn't it! Go get em this weekend bud!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now John, don't be tryin to steal my bad luck thunder. I'm known as the guy with the disappointing hunts. Stick with em and you'll head em off sometime.

As for me, I have my NWTF banquet Friday night, then our season starts Monday but chances are I won't get out til next Saturday or Sunday. Unless this snowstorm this weekend allows me to get a day off in the middle of the week.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck to you John this coming weekend!

There is something strange about a bird that can appear so dumb and yet be so smart.. The eye sight they have is amazing..
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

I went to the spot I will most likely hunt, and scouted a little.
I bumped a tom off his roost about 8:45 this morning.
I was looking for tracks, and he startled me.
It was a good scare to see a tom, where I will be hunting.
Hopefully I can connect one this spring.

Good Luck to every one.
Be safe, and have fun.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Good deal Jrbsr! Good to hear from ya! Hope he hangs out till yer season starts, when is that? I'm goin nutts!!!!! This weather needs to break real soon! laid off with nuthin to do. cabin fever is settin in bigtime! You guys in the south need to give me some stories of EPIC turkey hunts soon or i may not make it!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

went out yesterday scouting. had 2 long beards walk past me at about 30 yards. 1 has 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 inch spurs and about 9.5 inch beard the other has 1 inch and about 9 inch beard. thinking they are good ones for a youth hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.