Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck on you and your dads hunt Jepcho. Hope yall cans close the deal
Old 04-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by swampbuster
Good luck on you and your dads hunt Jepcho. Hope yall cans close the deal
Thanks. I hope so too. I'd love to start the season with getting my brother a bird and then my dad. Then I could head to Nebraska on Saturday knowing that they already got their birds. I'm checking my phone every few minutes this evening hoping to see a text from him that he got one.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by swampbuster
Anything new from the mods on our missing team members Phil?

I have heard nothing as of yet.. I am guessing we will be going into this short of those 2 members.. But, I am still confident we can get this done.. Not everyone got birds last year and hopefully everyone does this year..

Either way we still stand a very good chance of winning this contest again.. I know we can do it!! Oue seasons are just now coming into play for many of you.. I am one of the last seasons to open up because of being so far north.. Then again i also have an entire month to hunt in and I am hearing good stuff on the birds from 1 to 4 hours away.. They are all saying they have never seen so many birds as this year.. here in this area we were hit really hard with snow and it is still trying to leave the ground.. A lot of fields has really started to open up and should be free of snow sometime this week. Hopefully then i will have a better idea on our bird situation here.. If not I maybe able to travel south some and see what happens..
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jepcho
Well today is opening day here in Iowa and my dad has a tag for 1st season so we went out this morning. Got setup really tight on some birds on the roost. The hens pitched down right in front of us, one gobbler pitched down about 55 yards out and then the closest gobbler landed at about 35 yards. He needed to take one step towards the hens and my dad would have a clear shot. Instead he went into full strut, turned away from us and walked away in a straight line, turned the corner in the field and was gone. The hens and other tom followed. Never seen anything like that before. Anyway, we hunted till about 1 then I had to head home. He is out hunting now and if he doesn't get anything this afternoon we will be back out in the morning.
That is why no one ever knows what a turkey is going to do.. Just like any kind of hunting.. If it was easy it would be almost like going to the market and getting one..
Hunting with your dad is something special in which a lot of people never had the chance to do that.. I am glad you are able to so enjoy the hunt.. That is all part of what great memories are made of.. I do hope your dad has some good luck and scores a nice tom.. Good luck to your dad...
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Well fellow team members its one down and six to go for me.

Iowa, Eastern
Shotgun
12:05 pm on 4-15-15

23 lbs
Beard 10.250"
Right spur 1.125"
Left spur 1.125"

Just a good Iowa longbeard.
After 2 days of almost and WTH I got it done at 12:05 this afternoon.
Got setup on the river bottom this morning only to have all gobbling birds on the other side and south of me. I will give all the credit for that to the farmer working that field yesterday evening. With a light rain coming down and the birds not being helpful, I took to the road in search of one that was in a playing mood. Well that didn't work either so I went back to the morning area to find that he was strutting on the wrong side of the river still so I adjusted my setup to be straight across the river from him and did some lite calling for about a hour with no response from him. Then I heard it the soft sound of spitting and drumming. Thinking it was coming out front of me just to the left I positioned for the shot only to have a hen fly across the river from what is now behind me. She did not like my hen decoy that I had set out so she got spooky and flew back across the river. I got up on my knees and turned around to find two longbeards on the sand bar across the river. After double calling to them for 30 minutes I finally got them to fly across and after they got far enough away from the edge I dropped the hammer on the strutter at 14 yards. (didn't want him to flop in to the river)
Hopefully I will get pics to upload shortly.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go camokenny!! Yahoo we are on board! Hopefully the rest of us can be of help as pur season comes into play as well.. Very nice story and it sure sounds like you had to work for this one.. Congrats to you!!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Phil, is your cell number the same? I can kill gobblers but this phone and I don't get along when I comes to this and my pc keeps failing to upload.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by camokenny
Thanks Phil, is your cell number the same? I can kill gobblers but this phone and I don't get along when I comes to this and my pc keeps failing to upload.
Yes it sure is camokenny.. I have a score for you of 66 ..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-15-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go camokenny! That's a great bird! Congrats
Old 04-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats Kenny!!!!

Its supposed to storm again this weekend but I'm tired of waiting lol. I'm heading out at 3am to hopefully get there by daylight and get a few yelps in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.