HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jepcho
Well today is opening day here in Iowa and my dad has a tag for 1st season so we went out this morning. Got setup really tight on some birds on the roost. The hens pitched down right in front of us, one gobbler pitched down about 55 yards out and then the closest gobbler landed at about 35 yards. He needed to take one step towards the hens and my dad would have a clear shot. Instead he went into full strut, turned away from us and walked away in a straight line, turned the corner in the field and was gone. The hens and other tom followed. Never seen anything like that before. Anyway, we hunted till about 1 then I had to head home. He is out hunting now and if he doesn't get anything this afternoon we will be back out in the morning.
That is why no one ever knows what a turkey is going to do.. Just like any kind of hunting.. If it was easy it would be almost like going to the market and getting one..
Hunting with your dad is something special in which a lot of people never had the chance to do that.. I am glad you are able to so enjoy the hunt.. That is all part of what great memories are made of.. I do hope your dad has some good luck and scores a nice tom.. Good luck to your dad...