HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM
camokenny
Fork Horn

Well fellow team members its one down and six to go for me.

Iowa, Eastern
Shotgun
12:05 pm on 4-15-15

23 lbs
Beard 10.250"
Right spur 1.125"
Left spur 1.125"

Just a good Iowa longbeard.
After 2 days of almost and WTH I got it done at 12:05 this afternoon.
Got setup on the river bottom this morning only to have all gobbling birds on the other side and south of me. I will give all the credit for that to the farmer working that field yesterday evening. With a light rain coming down and the birds not being helpful, I took to the road in search of one that was in a playing mood. Well that didn't work either so I went back to the morning area to find that he was strutting on the wrong side of the river still so I adjusted my setup to be straight across the river from him and did some lite calling for about a hour with no response from him. Then I heard it the soft sound of spitting and drumming. Thinking it was coming out front of me just to the left I positioned for the shot only to have a hen fly across the river from what is now behind me. She did not like my hen decoy that I had set out so she got spooky and flew back across the river. I got up on my knees and turned around to find two longbeards on the sand bar across the river. After double calling to them for 30 minutes I finally got them to fly across and after they got far enough away from the edge I dropped the hammer on the strutter at 14 yards. (didn't want him to flop in to the river)
Hopefully I will get pics to upload shortly.