Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2014 Turkey Contest
Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers >

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Community

Team 5* ~The Turkey Killers

Old 05-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure if I have the beard pictures in order or not but they are posted..

We now are at a best bird per hunter score of 502.75 !!! ( this will be hard for any team to beat!! We are also currently at 1031.5 for all birds combined score !!

Way to get it done camokenny! Are you planning on mounting that one? I know for many it is a once in a lifetime bird!! Again Congrats to you !! Also I think it would be fair to say on behalf of the team.. Thank you for the giant boost this bird just gave us!!!! It will now be next to impossible for any team to catch us!!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-11-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by swampbuster
Hey Phil I will try to get pics sent to you and story posted this afternoon. It will be a busy Mother's Day for us
When you get the chance will be fine.. Thanks..
Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

No unfortunately he was in bad shape feather wise or he would of been mounted. My taxi man said he would not be able to make him look as good as he deserved. May never shot one that good again but will always have the beards and memory of the hunt.
I probably won't be able to add to the one bird per hunter score but should be able to add to the all bird total a couple more times.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

He guys here is the story for my latest Kansas trip. Left last Wednesday afternoon got in late and woke up early ( my friend and I ). We couldn't really get on anything Thursday had some birds get close but nothing promising. Late Thursday afternoon we went to a spot were we saw three that morning just off our property. We got out owl hooted and they answered three hundred yards away. The next morning we get up early get out there and set up. They are gobbling pretty good on the roost fly down and seem to get a little quite. At this point I get a little more aggressive with my calling and they pick up there gobbling. I cut back on my calling and they would lose interest( they act like they didnt really wanted to cross under the fence) so they head back were they came from. I take my box call and mouth call and call at the same time acting like several turkey. I rotate my box for my slate during this process as well. They start to get really fired up and comment to coming in. I can hear him spitting as he is coming in, I can't see him because of the terrain. Suddenly he appears and he is about twenty yards away. I start thinking that he is about to put on a show for us and BOOM!!! My buddy shot the turkey jumps in the air comes down and starts running off. I turn get on him and drop him. Hunt is over. After that we went after other birds and was tagged out by 10:30. It was a great trip and the end to a great season that The Lord allowed me to have!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure it will add to the one bird per hunter score.. As it is your best bird!! The one bird per hunter score is based on the best bird per hunter.. That bird counts for all of it! Way To Go!!! That should push all our totals over now!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-11-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

swampbuster's turkey of May 9, 2014 4th bird! You guys are making it seam to easy.. LOL Congrats!!!

This gives you the best bird as well.. Congrats on another fine bird!
Your score is 20.6875 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 18.5 = 56.6875

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-11-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Phil for posting turkey pics for me again. I think we will all have to take up a collection to help with your cell phone bill for the pics we have been sending you. Lol!!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do not worry about that none.. I just sent you a pm because I had some how lost some info..

Also a nice story to have read! Congrats again!

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-11-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hope every one who is hunting has good luck and a good time in Gods creation. Lets keep those birds coming in.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man you guys are crushing it. I'm starting to feel a bit inadequate not adding my fair share. Camokenny, that is a stunning gobbler. 5 beards!

Saturday I went out on National Forest land and got setup on a creek bottom where I had seen several toms before. They normally roost away from there and then work their way through the area around 8:30 going up to the mountain top. Shortly after sunlight I do a light tree yelp. I hear a gobble uphill and over my right shoulder. I debate trying to move up the mountain but I can't pinpoint the location and distance of the bird now that it's greening up and due to echoes in the bottom. I'm concerned about being spotted and bumping the bird and yet I know it's hard to call a turkey downhill. I hear a second gobbler on a ridge in front of me further away. I decide to sit tight. Gobbles continue for about 15 minutes and I'm certain the closer one is not far up on the ridge over my right shoulder. I've got two hen decoys out in the creek bottom. I don't do a lot of calling because these birds are pressured. Also I've seen guys drive their trucks on forest service roads below with their windows open calling and then listening for a gobbler so I know they are over-called. I mostly am doing purrs and scratching. I hear the gobble again and he's closer! He comes and crosses a dry wash to another ridge over my left shoulder. I rotate behind the huge tree I'm leaning on and get in sniper position facing uphill. I'm wearing a ghillie suit and not worried about being picked off as I've had gobblers at 5 yards not see me. I do some light calling and he cuts me off with double gobbles. I see his dark form move through the greenery and he's about 80 yards away and 50 feet above me in elevation. He holds tight gobbling at all my calls but wont' commit to come down to me. I maybe should have got more aggressive with my calls because he was hot but feared driving him off. Unfortunately he lost interest and wandered away. After thirty minutes without sight of him or hearing anything I grabbed my decoys and headed up to his original ridge to see if I could call him back. I got set up and started calling. Nothing. Ten minutes later the rain starts. Then it gets harder. It looks like it is here to stay so I pack it up and head out. Rained the rest of the day.

I was going to go setup on him this morning on the second ridge but forgot to set my alarm. Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow. Trying to juggle hunting and getting my garden in. The all day rain really threw my schedule out the window as I was going to get the garden in Saturday. I had even mowed the grass earlier in the week so I'd have Saturday to hunt and garden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.