HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2011-2012-bowhunting-contest-127/)
-   -   Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2011-2012-bowhunting-contest/348836-official-team-buck-u-thread-team-3-a.html)

KCMO Cityboy 09-19-2011 09:42 AM

Hey, BetterBirds, good luck on the evening hunt. Hopefully the big dude will swing by.
I had a fun couple of days out in the field. Hunted with some good friends of mine on Thurs, Fri and Sat morning. Did not take a shot at anything but did see a lot (mainly doe) and learned a bit about the trails being used. The big guys didn't show up this time. They may not present the opportunity until the rut kicks in. I managed to get just under 1 hour of deer video even with all the rain I had to put up with so I'm in the process of editing it to make it short enough so that my wife will watch it (which means it will need to be less than 30 seconds long).

SouthDakotaHunter 09-20-2011 08:59 PM

My season opens this weekend - though not sure if I'll be able to make it out. Still sweet to know it's game on!!

KCMO Cityboy 09-21-2011 04:21 PM

Okay guys, I know you all have been waiting very patiently for my video from last week. Well, all the tape has been cut and edited, spliced and respliced. So if you are really bored and want to watch 15 minutes of bambi and a few small bucks roaming around, here it is. There is no blood, gore or flying arrows here. Maybe in the next video though. Click HERE to take a look.

jermelott 09-21-2011 05:03 PM

What video editing software did you use? That was a pretty neat video.

KCMO Cityboy 09-22-2011 09:45 AM

Thanks Jerm, I am trying out Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 and it seems to be working better than their previous Studio version. My camcorder writes to a SD card is encoded in the AVCHD format. So far it seems to be working just fine. Maxing out my RAM to 8GB probably helped too.

zubba 09-23-2011 06:53 AM

Season start October 1st here. Planning to head out opening weekend for a couple sits...then will probably back out until the end of October....so don't expect much action from me until then..lol. But I hope everyone else gets a crack at a nice buck by then.

pa_yote_hunter 09-24-2011 06:52 PM

....season is right around the corner.....I AM SOOO PUMPED!!!

pa_yote_hunter 09-24-2011 06:54 PM

Hey KCMO!!!

What camera did you use?? Also....I lived in Lee's Summit for 6years....I so miss living out there

Jimmyt 09-25-2011 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a big Doe on opening day yesterday.. hopefully a sign of a great season!

KYDeerHunter03 09-25-2011 03:50 PM

whole lotta nothin here in my neck of the woods...dunno where the deer went

Bucktail_Bob 09-25-2011 04:33 PM

Congrats on a big fat doe. I was tweeking out 10 stands this weekend. Standing corn as far as the eye can see. IL opens next week.

BetterBirddogs 09-26-2011 05:04 AM

Been sitting and seeing lots of does. Saw a nice buck Thursday night. Im hwaded back out this week. Nice doe kill.

KCMO Cityboy 09-26-2011 09:41 AM

Jimmy, congrats on the nice doe. Looks like a nice mature one. Yeah, hopefully that is a good sign for the season.
Sounds as if it should be a busy weekend for a lot of us. Good luck. Time to start rolling in the points.

KCMO Cityboy 09-26-2011 09:49 AM

Hey Yote,
I think that camera is a Canon HF100. For someone like me it does just about all I need. Biggest complaint is 1), Manual focus is a pain, and 2), not all that great in low light conditions, like 15 min after sunset.
Too bad you moved from the Lees Summit area. It's nice here, but PA is an awesome place too. Especially in the Fall.

mj469 09-26-2011 05:38 PM

Swing and a Miss :(

Hey Guys- Made it out on Saturday night... The Mulie I was after snuck out and around me to the field without an opportunity. While in the process of packing up my things, A Nice whitetail came into the field at 43 yards. Long story short, he ducked the string and I sent a rage 2 inches over his back. Lumenock looked like it was going to drop right in there but he had other plans :( 4 year old 155" or so. Beautiful buck but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Off for a few weeks and then back at it again.
I'll see if I can't load a pic or video of the Mulie I'm after....

mj469 09-26-2011 06:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDE_ok5bTkE

Short video of one of the Mulies I'm after.

halfbakedi420 09-27-2011 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by mj469 (Post 3853094)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDE_ok5bTkE

Short video of one of the Mulies I'm after.

i think e1 is after him lol

joejr69 09-30-2011 01:39 AM

jimmy congrats on the doe!! i'm still waiting only 15 more days.good luck to everyone

whacker 09-30-2011 09:52 AM

Have only been able to get out 3 days because of the rain/humidity and heat. First morning out Saw 2 bucks, 2nd hunt had a little buck bed down 33 yards from me. A 3 point with no brows. This past tuesday I was out again after work and had 7 turkeys come by but that was it. Headed out tonight after work. Tomorrow in the morning I am headed for Sika Deer. They are the smallest member of th elk family and live in the swamps over here on the Eastern Shore of MD. Neat animals and pretty small. a 6 pt is considered a trophy. I'll probably hunt for whitetails in the pm. It is finally supposed to be cooler tomorrow with the temps in the high 50's low 60's.

KCMO Cityboy 10-03-2011 05:05 PM

So guys, any luck this weekend? Hey Wacker, any stories from you latest hunt?
SO,,,, I don't know how many are doing this contest for the first year. I think this is my 4th year in the contest. I was on the winning Bone Mafia team a couple of years ago. It's always fun to see the scores come in on the official scorecard. If this is your first year, PLEASE understand the requirement of the photo. It MUST include the whole deer AND you AND your bow. So when you decide to harvest a buck take a few moments and take several pictures afterwards. Take your close ups and take a few that show the entire deer. If you have any questions please PM me. The pictures do not have to be taken out in the field. There is already a guy on another team that for one reason or another didn't include his bow. I'm sure it's disappointing for him but it simply doesn't comply with the rules of the contest. Hopefully, no one else will have to be disqualified.

zubba 10-04-2011 10:48 AM

I've been in this contest since '03 or '04. It is always pretty fun.

My wife and I had a little girl last Wednesday. Stella Grace. We got home on Friday afternoon and I was in the treestand Saturday morning. My wife it sooo good to me.

On my hunt Saturday morning, I had a 130" 8 pointer come through just as it was starting to get light. Slowely fed towards me while I was praying it would take its time. When it gave me a final shot at 28 yards before he got out of range, I pulled back and whistled to make him stop. I then tried and tried and tried to see my pin...but it was still a little too dark. If I looked for my pin, I could see it but couldn't see the deer. If I looked for the deer, I couldn't quite see the pin. The shot was too iffy to risk, so I let him walk. About 4-5 minutes later, it was bright enough to see my pin. I was kind of bummed, but just reminded myself it was opening day. Will probably head out Saturday morning again, then hang it up unti the end of October. Anyone else been out?

KCMO Cityboy 10-04-2011 07:28 PM

Hey Kurt, congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your daughter. I bet she loves venison! Post a picture of her sometime when you have a chance.
That 8 pointer would have been sweet. Good call on holding the shot. Hopefully he will sleep in a little later when you are out there.

BetterBirddogs 10-05-2011 03:06 PM

I've been hunting mainly in the evenings over the last 10 days or so. I had a nice 140 8 walk by at 10 yards but I held up because he was with a 170 11 pointer. Well the big bastard didn't follow his friend to his death and he went straight out in the field and down the treeline out of range of course. Damn it. Been seeing lots of does. I saw a doe last night with twins that had spots on their back legs only. Pretty cool. I'm back after it Friday night in a new spot.

zubba 10-05-2011 06:20 PM

Just got a second....my buddy shot that 8 pointer this morning. Measured 130.125"...pretty good judgement, ah? When he sends me a pic, I will post it as well as a picture of Stella.

KCMO Cityboy 10-06-2011 09:28 AM

Hey BetterBirds, that would be awesome to nail the 170. Hope you outsmart him. Good luck. At least in the KCMO area the winds will be out of the south this weekend so that will mix it up a bit. So where abouts are you hunting? Give me some details!!
I'll try a couple of hunts this weekend. It's been dry for 19 days so I'm thinking of hanging along a creek bed. It has pockets of water along it. So what do you think, are the big boys likely to drink in the mornings or evenings, or both? If he's a college aged boy I would guess it would be around midnight. :guiness:

mj469 10-06-2011 03:41 PM

I agree KCMO-
The temps and drought in the area has to have the deer hitting the water holes. I've always caught most deer leaving water holes in the early morning. We have some major fires in the area that won't go out!! I can't believe how dry it is.

I haven't completely decided yet... I may go try to get on something next weekend... If not, It won't be until Halloween. We'll see how bad I get the Itch.

Good luck to everyone. We're not far from the fun times :)

SouthDakotaHunter 10-06-2011 04:19 PM

Congrats on the addition Zub!!

Been crazy dry here... Will be interesting to see how that affects things this year....

pa_yote_hunter 10-06-2011 05:34 PM

went out tonight and got a small doe.....nothing crazy, and no bucks.....

BetterBirddogs 10-08-2011 04:56 AM

KCMO I haven't been able to get out in the morning yet. I hope to hunting tomorrow morning. I went and checked a couple of cameras and there are a bunch of bucks on them. All of the buck pics I have are morning pics. Go figure. I think the water route is a smart. I haven't tried it yet but I may. I have noticed in the evenings that the damn deer are on their feet at 4 pm. I hunted last night as had deer moving by in the wind at 330.

I'm hunting down by FT Scott. I'm one of those rare lucky ones who has more ground to hunt then time to hunt it all. I have been focusing on some stuff right close to the house. That big buck I saw last week was a mile from the front door.

joejr69 10-08-2011 05:41 AM

i'm still waiting to get in the tree!!!! next saturday can't wait.

joejr69 10-12-2011 07:19 AM

three days left.now old mother nature isn't going to help out.rain and 30 mph wind great. hopefully it holds off for a morning hunt.

KCMO Cityboy 10-12-2011 09:29 AM

Yeah Joe, I hope the weather cooperates for you. Have the rain gear handy!

I was out this past weekend. Part of the time was near water. I had deer come into it in the morning at 6:20 and they were gone by 6:47 (right at 30 min before sunrise). All does. Hunted the evening adjacent to a beanfield. I hung a stand about 80 yards further to the north from the stand I hunted on opening day weekend. I didn't see anything until just after sunset, and then they came. Kinda like Field of Dreams where they just emerged from the cornfields, but the deer just came from the woods. Most all were does and a couple of bucks. The beanfield was all brown so I thought they might not be hitting it anymore. I heard they don't like soybeans after they turn brown except after they have dried out. I haven't had a chance to review the video I took. My computer at home is all jacked up. :s10: I think the video card is going bad although it isn't all that old. Probably won't be back out until Oct 29.
How's everyone else doing?

Bucktail_Bob 10-13-2011 06:52 AM

Zubba, congrats on the baby girl.
I still have not been out thus far. I’ll be heading out this weekend. My spot is 2 hours away so I am stuck to being a weekend warrior.
Last weekend was the youth gun season. My buddy’s son (11) took his 11th deer. A nice 120”class 9 point. It dressed out at 204.
We have not checked our cams yet, so hopefully I’ll have some good ones to post.
Also, another buddy of mine stuck a solid 9 pointer yesterday in IL. It was cruising at 9:30 so it looks like it has begun.

BetterBirddogs 10-14-2011 01:34 PM

I've been sitting and seeing deer. I saw a nice deer a couple nights ago. He came in right at dark. This moon has them moving late here. Im in a tree as i type this. Im in a great spot. Hopefully the big feller comes back.

whacker 10-18-2011 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I havent' been out much the past two weeks. I took a trip with my dad to Pulaski, salmon fishing for Coho's and Kings. Got out last night and saw a small buck and two does late about 90 yards out. I plan on hunting this evening after work. Thursday is our Early muzzeloader season here in MD so I'll be out with the BP Thurs, Fri and Sat. I hope to spend some serious time in the woods here the next 3 weeks. Here is a pick of one of the King's I caught on a flyrod in the the Little Sandy Creek about 1/2 mile from Lake Ontario. Good luck everyone. Hopefully I'l be showing off some pics from the blackpowder season this weekend,

KCMO Cityboy 10-20-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by whacker (Post 3862856)
. Here is a pick of one of the King's I caught on a flyrod in the the Little Sandy Creek about 1/2 mile from Lake Ontario. ,

:hail:NICE!!! So, I'm guessing it takes a while to land something that big on a flyrod. That must have been a blast.

mj469 10-23-2011 06:03 PM

I sat last night and just saw a couple does. Let a really nice 3 yr old Mulie walk this morning. Mid 140's or so. Nice and wide, just needs another year. Belly was completely straight and flat. 5 days of work this week and then 4 days in a row in the tree stand. Snow coming wednesday, should be about perfect timing this coming weekend!!

Jimmyt 10-24-2011 05:32 PM

I'm on the board with a 10 pointer but i cant figure out how to post the pics from my phone!

KCMO Cityboy 10-24-2011 05:38 PM

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!

KCMO Cityboy 10-24-2011 05:50 PM

Well, I'm eagerly awaiting to hear more about Jimmy's 10 pointer. That's incredible. Congratulations to you and for being the first to post points for the team.
So who's gonna be the next to add points to the board?
I will be taking off work on Thurs and Fri to see what's happening. It's suppose to cool off on those days so maybe I'll get some action. I'll also put up a pop-up blind that I might use the following weekend for the Youth Firearms 2-day season. My youngest son got his first buck during that weekend last year. Maybe we will have success again this year.