Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31) >

Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31)

Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Just returned from Northern Wisconsin week long bow hunting trip and nothing to show for the effort. Well I did bring back a cooler full of processed venison from the doe I took in early October but nothing fresh this trip.

Passed up on 7 bucks during the week. Well passed on 6 and stuck 1 but only got two drops of blood. Stuck the deer in a rib at 20 yards and then watched the 8 pointer run away with 98% of the arrow sticking out his side. Perfect shot placement, just no penetration. That is one tough deer. Guess I need heavier broadheads (shooting 85 grain) to bust through that last rib next time. And I'm shooting 65 pounds. May have to up the draw weight as well.

Better yet, time to get out the real firepower. Gun season starts this weekend so I'll be back with the stick (and heavier broadheads) in December.

Good luck to all and be safe.

Last edited by W9ARcher; 11-17-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

W9Archer-to bad on the "no penetration". I would guess something else happened (Unknown) with 65 lbs. I blow through Elk & Buffalo & big Hogs with 60#s & a 3 blade Rocky Mountain Broadhead.
I've been skunked to many times lately & then today when my newbee Bowhunting Daughter CAN't go "again" (she's a Nurse) I have FIVE Does walk by at 15 yds & then mill around for 5 min or more. Hang my bow up & get video camera & shoot them with it to show her. I have TWO antlerless tags but passing on everything BUT a Big Buck so she can hopefully get her 1st shot.
This pic isn't to good but it's a GREAT 8 with a Doe I've seen twice now (yesterday & today) but never closer than 100 yds...
Attached Thumbnails Official Team Wanna see my Booner Thread (31)-hpim1805.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to all you guys and gal for not checking in here lately! I have been hunting NON-STOP as of lately! I have been off of work from Halloween up until yesterday and never once was able to pull the trigger! I went to Ohio for a do it yourself type of public land hunt that was a bust. It was a slow, long week of hardly and visuals throughout the whole 5 days! I then returned home and was hard at it basically everyday until now and once again the sightings were low, and what was being seen was nothing to talk about. I joined a new 300acre lease, and I know that this land WILL produce a couple nice bucks off of it, but me and a buddy are having a rough time getting on any this year. I feel I will have a much better chance next year after getting to know the lay of the land a little better throughout this season, but im not so sure if I am going to be able to get it done this year? I am burnt out from hunting but I will still be out there until I atleast get one buck on the ground. The bad thing is our rifle season comes in next saturday, which could really make the bowhunting tough after the season is over?

I will keep trying to get back on when I can to update you all but for now good luck to the rest of ya!!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been at it hard also with little results. I've passed on a couple decent Bucks & a chance @ 5 different does yesterday @ 15 yds..
Daughter was working again & today I see 5 Does walk out by her stand (I'm 100 yds away) & after they leave a decent 8 comes trailing along. She would have had 15 yd or less shots @ Does And the Buck...

I have seen a couple I won't pass on but they have been OUT of RANGE. We have until Dec. 5th b/4 gunners start...
Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went last Thursday-5 Does & 1 decent 8 following 5 min. behind them but nothing closer than 60 yds..
Took Fri & Sat off as it was my B-day Sat. Wife & I went out of town-ate a nice steak supper Friday evening & stayed in Hotel-Sat. she shopped for Kids, G-Kids.

Went this afternoon with Daughter. 3:45 I rattle. 5 min later a BIG 8 comes by our stand @ 60 yds & walkes into the bean field.
We are just watching him & he sees something over the hill & Bolts-headed out a town. They have Been seeing lots of Coyotes & we are guessing that had to be it as nothing else around-wind was great. Then, I do another little rattle @ 4;15 & immediatly this little 5 pointer pops up 80 yds away by MY stand. We are in Daughters Double ladder. He walks out into the field looking around & then goes to feeding. NOW, my daughter says-he's just a baby, I won't shoot at him if he gets close. I told her, you've never had a shot, thats your choice. Anyway, I said, I'm gonna show you how to get him close. I tickle rattle the horns & she says, oh my God, he's running to us. (When it works, it works good). Anyway, hes just at 20 yds milling, sniffing & looking for the fight. He turns perfect quarter, away, broadside. I say sweetie, thats your perfect bow shot right there. She says no, he's just to little. Lots of video & I played with him for over 1/2 hour. daughter got to learn about horn rattling today. We had a great 3 hours today. She said, if it had been a Doe I would have taken the shot OR that other BUCk... Anyway, she's going to be a great Bowhunter....We have until the 5th. These Bucks both came to the rattle & no Does around...
Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Hey I can see the forums again, the forums wouldn't show up for me until today. I kept getting errors.

Been doing a lot of hunting and seeing mostly small bucks. Since the 11th I have probably seen 15 bucks, with 2 of them being ones I would have liked to have shot. I could have shot almost all the other ones I seen, but the big boys would not come out. I had some great action on the 12th and 16th, both days I had a hot doe in my area. Man, just crazy action; I swear bucks going nuts like that is something to behold.

MI gun season started the 15th (I am still out with the bow) and they are about half way done taking off corn. I am hoping this gets the big ones out in the woods sooner.

Good luck all,
Chris
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

yesterday-a small 6 chasing a Doe & 1 lone adult doe @ Dark. Everything 60+ yds. away. We have until the 5th then the gunners start. Going again this PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This afternoon was my last time out b/4 Gun season (starts 5th)& then i'll be back at it. Sad thing happened tonight (IN my eyes). I pull out of the field from hunting onto the road to head up to daughters house (shes hunting the other side this evening) & as i pull onto the road see a Semi sitting. I just figured he was going into one of the fields. I go 60-70 yds past him & see a deer in the middle of the road, no horns-he had JUST hit it. I pull off & go over to pull it out of the road & it's a nice Buck MINUS any horns. Pieces are everywhere. I found one main beam minus the brow-it was a GREAT 8, Guessing if both antlers in tact would score at least the minimum 125... the other antler ws nothing but pieces. I talked to the Driver & he said he just jumped out & he couldn't even hit his brakes-went under the cab & he drug him about 30 feet. Buck was mangled bad. Driver had damage to his truck & was on cell to someone to come out where he was.
The Buck came from property my Daughter & I are Bowhunting sooo, one less. He was hit about 200 yds. from one of our stands. Hope others are having some good news. Check in & let us know whats going on...Looks Like I'll be Bowhunting late season this year....
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Time to change my Avatar back to the Booner as Wisconsin Gun season is now over.

Our gang of 8 hunters scored very well this year with two 10's, 1 nine pointer, 1 8 pointer, a 4 pointer and 4 does.

My son shot a dandy 194 pound 10 pointer that scored 137 and showed up dad who shot the 9 pointer which scored 118.

Here's a picture of my best buck to date:

Saw a couple of 140 and 160 class bucks which are still running. Time to let the woods settle down a bit and continue the chase during late bow season.

Good Luck to all.

Last edited by W9ARcher; 12-02-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the fun time & nice Buck. I'm done until gunners get done but will be able to Bowhunt a innner city Bowhunt during that time. Try for some of those fat Iowa Does...
I've Bowhunted Ws. many, many years but have'nt been up there for 3-4 years now. Was hoping this year but with all he jabber on earn a Buck & other politics decided to wait till next year & plan a 5-6 day Bowhunt..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.