Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Indoor Leagues
 We talkin bout PRACTICE.... >

We talkin bout PRACTICE....

Community
2008 Indoor Leagues Enjoy some off-season archery fun by participating in one of our Indoor Shooting Leagues.

We talkin bout PRACTICE....

Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: We talkin bout PRACTICE....

practice, I consider this league my practice...

you dudes are serious.. 'bout this 3-d stuff..
Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys, I'm home now for the afternoon and have a few minutes to expand on Gr8's question. Jeff's response was spot on, but there is one more aspect of the 10 yard games.

Take a pencil and put it in your hand, making a fist around it with the point side of the pencil facing the thumb side of your fist and sticking out several inches. Now hold this out in front of you, and using the end of that pencil like a pin on your sight, hold it on something across the room. Now if you tense up, and try hard to hold the pin there, it likely floats more, and if you just simply relax the muscles in your hand and arm, the float pattern of that tip will likely get smaller, and less erratic. Welcome to the philosophy of "aiming soft". I have to give credit where it is due, and say that this analagy is stolen directly from George Ryals, who in turn got it from Frank Pearson. It's a great analagy, and if you can find a way to aim soft and simply trust your pin float, your scores will increase dramatically and get more consistent. Setup the same every time, trust the float, stare at where you want it to go, and subconsciously execute a clean shot while focusing on that x ring. Repeat 44 more times.

Do you trust your pin float 100% every shot and aim soft every time, or do you find yourself tensing up at those distances a lot, occassionally, or once in a great while?

Now if you do tense up while shooting at 20 yards, whats the best solution to fix that problem and gain confidence in your pin float, improve your self image and get comfortable with shooting at a higher level (what Jeff explained), and learn how to "aim soft"?

Anyone following me?

My best practice are these 10 yard games. I focus a lot less on the score, but still keep score. It helps me to develop a mental management system that allows me to focus on setting up each shot perfect instead of my score, the last arrow, how many more arrows I have, or anything else in life that doesn't matter at that specific point as much as the arrow I'm trying to shoot.

Remember guys, they are only arrows. They only go where you point them. [8D]

Remember..........

Setup the same every time, trust the float, stare at where you want it to go, and subconsciously execute a clean shot while focusing on that x ring. The foundation to learn how to do these is on the blank bale and at 10 yards. It's just much easier to focus on trusting your float and aiming soft, and improve your self image as shooter (what Gr8 says holds him back in golf) at 10 yards. These items are the foundation to your success as a shooter.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great Stuff...I'll start shooting 10 yards in my basement this weekend.

You'd probably recommend a different release too huh? I shoot a caliper style Tru ball.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Do you trust your pin float 100% every shot and aim soft every time, or do you find yourself tensing up at those distances a lot, occassionally, or once in a great while?
Nope. Not every time. The coolest shots are the ones when the bow just "goes off"....and your arrowmagically appearsin the 10 ring.

I find I tense up when my arm is tired. I had rotator cuff surgery on my bow arm shoulder in '99....and it's the best of the two. But I still fight that arm getting tired and my float circle getting pretty big.

It is what it is...and I'm working on strengthening that shoulder (both, really).
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok well to reserect this post. I finally got my chance to shoot some 10 yard game. RJ and Gmmat suggest this as atype of practice rather than just shooting once a week. I decided to give it a go. So at first i'm done in the basement just plugging along. Pretty Easy. So later I go down and decide to shoot a 450 round for score. OK, now I get it!

First 10 arrows cruising along, all 10's and X's. I think I may shoot my first 150..hmm ahaaa..I get it, Hearts beating faster pin less steady next 2 arrows rock the 9. (I'm not shooting my fat-fat-matt arrows) I finish with 3 10's for a 148 w/7x

My next round (end, game, orwhatever you call 15 arrows) Same scenerio but much better I'm dialed in I have 11 X's ..12th arrow 9 (maybe 10 but not clear enough to take it) So I score 149 w/14X

Last round again I plug 11x's then throw in a 10 and finish strong, so a 150 w/14X

Total
148 7x
149 14x
150 14x

447 35x

My release felt smooth..I "GET" the feeling of shooting good scores and realize "Hey why not me?" I hope to countinue with this and see if I can bump my scores up a bit.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Good going, GR8. I need to do more of this. I haven't shot a 10 yd game in 2 weeks, probably. I might get one in, tonight.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good shooting Gr8! Now you know what it's like to pound the middle out of the target!