Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cant get em talkin

Old 05-02-2003, 08:01 PM

Default Cant get em talkin

im hunting in NW MO and have been out both weekends of the season so far with one week left, and i havent had one tom gobble when calling. i have only seen two hens. anyone have any advice
Old 05-03-2003, 12:32 AM

Default RE: Cant get em talkin

I HAVE NEVER HUNTED IN THE SHOW ME STATE BUT THERE ARE SEVERAL POSSIBLE FACTORS FOR YOUR PROBLEM- 1] TURKEY POPULATION NOT WHAT IT SHOULD BE,2]CALLING METHOD NOT PROPER FOR SITUATION,3]HUNTING PRESSURE HAS CAUSED BIRDS TO GET LOCKJAW AND RUN THE OTHER WAY WHEN HEARING HEN CALLS,4]WEATHER,5]TIME OF DAY WHEN GOBBLERS ARE HENNED UP.6] ALL OF THE ABOVE.IF THERE ARE SIGNS OF BIRDS IN THE AREA,KEEP HUNTING THEY WILL RESPOND TO SOFTER MORE SUBTLE CALLS AND MORE IMPORTANTLY-----HAVE PATIENCE!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:38 AM

If you read my last (tired of trying) you' ll see that I talked about the birds being active. Well that was about 24hrs ago, and well I got in the setup that I mentioned Early this mornig I herd nothing all morning but a few hens yelping, and I noticed that the hens would get into the gobblers aparent path from the day before, but when I yelp, they would get farther away, not spooked or anything just casually walking off, then later they would come back again, say what you want but I really don' t think it was my soft yelping I my box call. Someone please elaborate on this, but I think the hens were with the gobbler that had been in there for the past few days, then when she heard me calling she led him away in fear of competing whith another hen. Anyway, the real point I' m trying to make is that just yersterday, it was like grand central station, today they wouldn' t even shock gobble. I' ve heard it called the spring lul, lasting about a week or more in some areas, they hens come into heat and run with the gobblers, giving them no reason to gobble(hened up). then after a little while the hens go off to lay eggs where the gobblers can' t find them. Leaving the gobblers ho#nier then ever. I may have not bagged a bird yet, but one thing that I have learned through my 5yrs is that eventually they shake it(at least in my area) just hope its before the season is up. Liike mrmatticus said though its all about the area (amount of hens, hunters, and bad weather). My only advice applies to you and I both HANG IN THERE!!!!
Old 05-03-2003, 07:24 PM

I think it is the hunting pressure, where I hunt theres a ton of road hunters, like this morning you here a diesel roll up the hill, stop get out hit everything he has,hen,gobble and crow wait 30 seconds then starts the truck heads to the next pull out,and repeats the process. What a dope[:@] the area has only had birds ion it at huntable numbers for about 4 years, so there' s no pressure and most of the birds no nothing of being hunted. I felt like runnin down the hill and screaming at the guy to tell him how he' s training these birds. But anyway this morning the real soft stuff was @ least getting the hens curious, had one come right up behind me silent, made a couple puts about 5 feet directly behind me and scaerd the holy crud right out of me