Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30) >

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 30 Thread

Wowzer Is All I Can Say

Sorry I haven't been on in a while but the computer wouldn't let me in to this site at all untill I restructured my cookies. Thanks to Andy!!!! Well I went back to the stand I put up 2 weeks ago that I wrote about last Sunday. I got in at 4:30 and didn't hear a thing till 5:15.Was a Great Horned Owl that almost hit me in the face as it redirected it's landing branch across the deer trail from me,LMAO. I almost fellout of the tree. Must have been about a foot from my face before I saw him and 1/2 the distance before he turned to miss me.
It took a few minutes before I got my composure back and every thing started to settle down again when I heard ratteling behind me. I strained to see who was making the noise and it was 3 150 class bucks sparing . It wasn't 5 minutes and they all walked straight to the scrape 18 yards in front of me.The rattling started again in the same spot and as I glanced over my shoulder tosee what was making all the noise this time, their were 5, countem, 5 more bucks, the smallest a 6 point basket and the best one a 140ish buck5x4,so now I got 8 bucks all with in 25 yards of me. Never seen nothing like this in my life in the woods.
Well the bucks all started on their own trees pretty well at the same time and branches started breaking and dirt was flying, then they all looked up at once to the west of me. I hear leaves crunching so I stood up and got ready and just as I had my bow up a 160ish 5x6 steps into the scrape and looks just past me up the trail . I draw and look him over waitng . He stood their like that for 15 minutes . I drew 3 times in this span and he just walks under my tree and smells a few branches that I touched and stands their till it got dark at 6:50. So all the time he was quartering to me with a small slant with out any shot opertunity. So here I am stuck in my tree and 9 does walk past me and him , he follows them out to the feild.
All the time I was in the stand I had a 7 mile and hour wind from the south which blew right into where the bucks 1st came out from. I must also say the scrape was down wind of me too. The only deer to come from the south were the does who came in late. Not one deer smelled me as I waswaiting to get blown at at any minute during this 2 hour stand off.I got to keep thinking and believing in my scent-loc even though every one I talk too or read about say it's bull crap. I'm a believer and have many more encounters where it's saved my butt. I only wish a doe would give me a shot for some meat. I have 2 packages of moose and one side of Antelope ribs left in the freezer.
The weather has been seasonally warm for this time of year as I worked in a tee shirt out doors yesterday and the guys still have their bikes on the road. Last year we had snow on the 13th of October, a front is coming in from Idaho with colder weather with it. Looking forward to being able to see better with snow as a backdrop to make the deer stand out. God bless guys and I'll be in touch better now that I can get back into the site.
Jim ,all I can say is keep at her and best of luck getting a buck,sorry to hear about the one that got away, that will happen from timeto time as a bow hunter.
Rocky
Pre Rut is here[8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Looky Here
Looks like the Avetar took to my trying too .Awsome ,lets start tagging some deer Men!!!! Amen
Rocky
Old 10-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhunter46, that was quite an evening you had. Sure too bad about the buck, but perhaps you'll get him yet.

Youngfart, go get one of them monsters there.

From here, some bad news, particularly for me. I've recently developed sight problems in my right eye and cannot shoot my bow; well, I can, but I couldn't hit a barn if I was inside it. For now at least, I won't be doing any bow hunting. Hopefully that will change before the end of the season and I can still bring something to the table here. In the meantime, it's one Dr/hospital trip after another.

However, I did shoot a buck last evening with my rifle- and had to do it left handed.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Jim - better luck next time, we're rooting that you get another stab at him! Thanks for sharing the effort.

Rocky - good to see the computer problems got resolved - go get them.

Jack - I am sorry toread about your problems inyour post. You are one of my heros! Hang in there partner, you have our prayers that it all gets resolved.

-----------
I had a v.nice buck in range tonight (29 yds broadside), a mature 8 ptr that I let go. He was following the trail of a doe that passed through the thicket 20 min earlier. He was ~P&Y, but I know there is a bigger buck in the area (didn't show). No regrets...

-fsh
Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Jack - I am sorry toread about your problems inyour post. You are one of my heros! Hang in there partner, you have our prayers that it all gets resolved.
LOL - Andy, you gotta get out more.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Canuck_2

Bowhunter46, that was quite an evening you had. Sure too bad about the buck, but perhaps you'll get him yet.
You bet. Besides the fact that I didn't get the deer, it was an awsome experience. Its moments like that when I'm remided why I bow hunt.

This evening was also a good one. I went to a stand that I hadn't been to since Oct. 11. On the way in, I jumped a small buck 20 yards in front of my stand. As that buck was high-tailin it outta there, a greyfox trotted in. He walked up onto a log and laid down. He spooked after I tried sneaking past him. This all occures as Im standing 30 yards away from my stand. As I'm climbing the ladder, I hear footsteps behind me. I turned to see a good buck sneaking his way through the brush. Igot to the platform of my stand, took off my orange hat, and threw up my camo hood. He was starting away from me, hot on the trail of a doe would be my guess. I started rattling. He turned and looked my direction, but I could tell he would much rather continue in the direction he was already headed. He looked in my direction for 10 minutes before finally continuing on. My guess is that he scored around 115". He was a beautiful 8 that was wide with long tines. After all that action, I finally got a chance to sit down.[&:]

I didn't see anything the rest of the evening, but did notice two nice scrapes and a rub 10 yards to the left of my stand. It should be an interesting rest of the season.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

Got Out Tonight

Well got my last stand out tonight and sat in it ,had a yote come by at 4:30 and the deer started moving at 4:20. Heard some deer sparing and also heard some chasing happening. All in all I didn't see a deer ,but they were so close. I'm confident in this stand location and it'll produce when it's needed. I'm all set and probably won't get back on stand till this Sunday. I'll be picking up my camera Camsthen also and will post any pictures if they warent it. Good luck hunting,shoot strait and be safe . God Bless
Rocky
PS . Can't wait tillthe 15th to get here, I'll be sitting from sun up till sun down for 15 consecutive days. God I love hunting

Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys wuts up? i havent been on in a while, but i've been out quite a bit. The weather here is real crappy highs in the upper sixtys all week but the deer still seem to move. I've seen the same buck i think twice now i passed up on him the first time he's rite at his ears but i decided that it was to early to be shootin him. He was hot on a doe tonight and i couldn't get him to leave her. I also saw a big buck coming home from school around 3 jus standing in a field with some does. so i think by the end of next week i hope i'll have the big one cuz shotgun comes in the 15th i think. good luck guys. next time i'm on i'll have a awesome story to share.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Wowzer Brent
You speak with confidence,that's a good thing, good luck and may persitance pay off, still pre rut here for another week or so before the big boys start showing up and showing the younguns who's boss[]. I'll be starting holidays for 2 weeks starting the 15th. Hopefully I'll get my 3 does and 2 bucks before it's over. Wonder where the rest of the team is? LMAO ,they must be hunting[]
Rocky
Old 11-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Just back from a rainy evening of hunting Rocky, lol.Confidence never hurt anyone there Brent - we'll be rooting for you.

I've seen just dinks from the stand the past several days. I hunted a new spot yesterdaythat is populated with v.nice rubs and big scrapes, and its high groundfunnels deer along a marsh. I'll spend most of Saturday there.Also, I've been getting some v. nice pics of buckson my trail cameras - the big ones are on the move, just need to be in the right spot at the right time.

I voted today!

-fsh

Quick Reply: Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.