Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30) >

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Community

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Old 11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 30 Thread

Any news, team?

I sat 15 yards from a dandy 5x5 and watched him for 10 minutes yesterday - in my truck, in town. This is the 3rd time in the last month I've seen whoppers in town, and they're not in the least bothered by being watched. The one yesterday had a nice, thick neck; rut coming on.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Jack, nothing yet. The roadkill around here are way up the past few days and some dandy bucks are showing up on the motion camera.

I hunted a friend's farm tonight, home of a few v nice bucks. Igot excitedwhen a doe w/fawns ran thru my thicketearly this afternoon - the doe stopped and looked at her backtrail, but nothing followed them. A small dink came thru trolling after sunset and I played with him by grunting and bleating. I'll be back there in 5 hours.

I'lltake a fall turkey hunting break Friday morning over in VA.

-fsh
Old 11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I had a nice shooter pass just out of rangethis morning, and rattled in atall (non-shooter) 8 ptr this afternoon. I was hunting withmy partner,Ski, this afternoon, and he arrowed this9 ptr at a distance of 8 yds after the buck stood under his stand for 10 minutes - a v. nice 150 class buck.

I'll be back in the tree stand tomorrowafternoon...
-fsh

Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

Andy, that's a beautiful buck your buddy got.

Things are heating up here, too, although the weather seems to be more responsible for deer movement than the rut does at the moment. Last night we hada front come in and deer movement in late afternoon was terrific. Saw 42 deer, including 5 bucks, in less than 2 hours. This morning we got up to rain and the deer were nonexistent; same for this afternoon. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

How about the rest of you guys? We need some news!

BTW, the time shownin the postis Central. Here, it's still yesterday.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Team #30
Well guys I don't even know why i go out in the 1st 2 weeks of November[:@]. Had the perfect wind and everything too. Didn't see a thing but did hear them jumping the fence line and saw some fresh scrapes.
I'm a little upset about forgetting to turn the flash on my trail cams. I was all pumped about this location too and didn't get one picture at both sites. []LMAO.Is it old age ,wowzer. I find the 1st 2 weeks of November the worst of them all as the bucks are usally sitting with the does and waiting for them to come into estrus. The big boys usally sit back and watch from a distance too. Well my season is fast aproaching,startsSaturday for me till I get on the big Bird for the Mayan Riveira on the 30th. I'll need some luck to get the big guys as alway's.
Jack,are you back to bow hunting? I think earlier you said you were hurt and wern't going to be able to bow hunt! Hope you aren'tand are back at er! Good luck Andy and the rest of the team.
Rocky
Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Got Out This Afternoon

Due to my son in laws truck breaking down, this enabled me to sneak out from lunch till dark tonight. I was walking in and had a close encounter with a huge bull moose and got to with in 80 yards of him and he decided to git. To bad cause he would have filled a few freezers.
Got in to my stand by 1 and had a yote sneak past at 1:10. Saw deer moving all afternoon,just to far away. Saw a total of 9 does with out any bucks tailing them yet. SO the rut hasn't started yet. Saw one small buck harrasing a few does ,but other than that is was a quiet evening but eventful. Should be back in the saddle by Saturday or Sunday for sure. Just finished changing my camo to the coveralls that are reversable with my winter white on the inside for the time being till the snow starts to fly. The colder weather is due by mid week as is the snow.Shoot straight and don't forget your safety belt. God Bless guys.
Rocky
Old 11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Yesterday, I had three non-shooter bucks running does around the stand. I was tempted to take this big doe @ 15yds to harvest her uterus (best scent ever made!) - but I hadn't yet seen the bucks chasing her.

I huntedmost of today &had footsteps of a buck in the pre-dawn around my stand - never saw
him.Then Isaw the biggest buck that I've ever seen from a treestand pass thru at ~3pm, ~70 yds(I've been bowhunting 44yrs). Grunted, roared, rattled to no avail... My "shoot-meter" got ruptured... Just an awesome deer for my neck of the woods - a rare booner. Oh well, not my
day.

-fsh

Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Andy

When the rut is on all I use is a doe grunt and estrus bleat call. The deer will come in on a bead. Thats just what works for me, my rattleing will stop next week cause the bucks will not be interested in fighting any more due to breeding does and running . Again that is in my neck of the woods. A few rags of estrus doe urine hanging from a branch near a scrape uaslly always entices a sniff too. Keep at er Andy, that booner is looking for some thing ,just don't get caught with your pants downtaking a leak. I did that yesterday and couldn't hold it anymore[:@]. I was in an evergreen tree and it was quiet as it hit the ground and with in 15 minutes 2 doesshowed up under my stand sniffing and licking the branches I just wizzed on. Go figure[8D] 4 more days till I start to hunt hard!!! Let's start to put up some numbers guys, Yahoo #30.
Rocky
Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Andy, that sounds like a honker of a buck. Who knows, if he's in the neighborhood anyway, perhaps he'll still come to visit you even closer.

Rocky, the rut is coming on strong here all of a sudden, so you should start seeing some good action pretty quick. In a hay field in town this afternoon, I watched several does, a small buck, and a whopper for 15 or 20 minutes. The big one was tending a doe that seemed almost ready to let him have his way. He had a huge 6 point side (split brow) and a large but only 4 pt (also split brow) opposite side. I believe he is the same lop-sided buck I had been watching on a farm across the road from me in August.

I've been shooting my bow, but with some difficulty (right eye problems). When I get on target, the pin and bullseye suddenly disappear. After several seconds of jockeying my head around, I can find it again and shoot not too bad. I think I can still get a deer if it poses for me.

Good luck out there.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Rocky/Jack - I figured the spread in the 24" - 26" range - and notably a very tall, very white rack. I called the friendly neighbor and he said he may come up with a trail cam pic of the buck from last year... Thanks for the advice Rocky. Good luck Jack, I hope it's coming around so that you can adapt.

-fsh

Quick Reply: Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.