Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Lungbusters Thread (28) >

Official Team Lungbusters Thread (28)

Community

Official Team Lungbusters Thread (28)

Old 11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team Lungbusters Thread (28)

Well guys,

I hunted the last three days really hard. The weather was not exactly perfect, but I saw deer every day. No shooter bucks yet, some small 6 points and a couple of 4 pointers. Today it poured in the morning, but I did manage to see a basket rack 8 pointer around 10:00. I grunted at him, but he paid no attention to it. The evening sit was hopefully, with better weather, but I only saw a yearling doe at 4:15.

Won't be back at it until Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Good luck to everyone.

Brian
Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been out as well but have had no luck. In my area we have a 4pt antler restriction and so far I'm only seeing young bucks with 3 or less points. (per side) Just can't seem to find that big buck that the farmers have told me about. They've been seeing him in a particular area but every time the weather has been good for that stand location he doesn't show up. I'll be back out Tuesday morning.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

My girlfriend insisted on hunting in th2 25 mph winds this weekend. She sat onstand all day both days, 12 hous each day. Sunday was a bust, but she saw 3 shooters Saturday. They all saw her first. It is a sensitive wide open spot, but only tree suitable for a stand. Hope she didn't burn it out because I am going back there this morning with finally slammer weather conditions. Clear sky, cold, steady 9 mph west wind. I expect heavy deer movement. Today might be the day.

If not, I am headed down to my new southern Illinois slammer property Tuesday. That is when the serious hunting will start.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

What a let down. Hunted 4 hours this morning. Wind was still blowing a gale, 15 gusting to 20. Zero deer movement. Weather.Com screwed me. I am heading downstate to less pressured ground where the big guys should be moving regardless of the wind.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had no luck this morning. Saw a nice doe around 8am and she was about 60 yards and never got closer. I'm getting to the point where I may take a shot at the next legal deer that comes within range. I don't want to get stuck eating tag soup this year.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Well guys, Ive been waiting to post this with better news but it doesnt seem like its going to happen. My buck was being processed and caped a day after i shot him and when I received the head back I put it in my barn refrigerator to keep until I got a good measurement and talked to a taxidermist.

5 days after he was processed I took him out of the refrigerator and set on my barn floor untiil my friend/taxidermist got here to take measurements and get him ready for some type of mount. We came to the agreement that I was going to do a European mount. He suggested a mount with a nice wood mounting block and he took me to look at one that he had done last year. We went back to his shop to get his tape to measure it and when we returnedtheheadwas not anywhere in sight.

We figured a dog or critter had gotten it so we searched all through the woods and pastures with no luck. That was two weeks ago and I still havent even found scraps, rack, hide, or hairs. I have no idea what or who would come onto my land and take it in the45 minutes we were gone, but I have plans for whoever or whatever did it.

Im not sure of the rules of the contest but I have taken 2 other bucks this season that were smaller. Im sorry for letting you guys down, as I have a rough estimate of around 116-120"s on it. I have no solid measurements to submit but he was a 9 point with a broken G3. The other bucks I have taken were an 8 pt 105-110" (muzzleloader), and a 7pt 90" (bow). If I were to submit one of these I would be looked down on as a cheater because I know too many people that are in this contest and aware of the situation (believe me I considered it).

I wish you guys the best of luck with the final scores and cant wait to see pics and read the stories of successful hunts.

My apologies again
Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is terrible Jeff. I'm sorry to hear about that. It's good you were at least able to get some pictures.

I had no luck finding a legal buck during our bow season. I have a couple weeks until my next chance but I have to admit I am discouraged. I have no problems with our law on antler restrictions. Except it seems the past 3 years I always manage to find bucks smaller than that. LOL I really wish I had more access to private land where I could use trail cameras and such. But where I'm hunting now I've had 2 cameras stolen and don't have the desire to try it again.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Jeramy,

Thanks for the kind words, but it wont win us the contest. I should have done things differently and have learned lessons from this. If you get a chance to come through VA I have a stand for ya on about 400 acres of private land.

Best of luck with the rest of the season, and my apologies once again.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Jeff,

Man I'm sorry to hear the news, that really sucks for you. Don't worry about the contest, glad you took those great photos tho. I like Jeramy struck out during our early archery season, I had my chances on some younger bucks, but chose not to shoot hopingthey get another year under their belt and grow up. I have some great trail cam pic's of the ones I was after, but never saw them during the day time. Our gun season opens up after Thanksgiving and hopefully when our late archery season opens back up, I'll have better luck then.

Take care my friend.

Brian
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Brian,

Im really sorry for not having an input on the score this year. I shouldnt have left raw meat on my barn floor and left it for any length of time. This is a side view of him, it kind of shows the size of him a little better. His right G1 was broken at about an inch and a half and the right G3 was down to the beam. He was a fighter and have been looking for his opponent since I dropped him. He had the potential for a really nice 10 pt rack (part of my reasoning for doing the Euro mount vs shoulder).

Dont the rules include the late archery season too? If so keep at it and at least show them that we can slay bucks just like the rest. I will be keeping an eye out for us to come in atleast in the top 10 or 15.

Quick Reply: Official Team Lungbusters Thread (28)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.