Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 HNI 5-Spot League
 So what have you learned so far? >

So what have you learned so far?

Community
2007 HNI 5-Spot League Questions, comments, concerns, and trash-talk about the 2007 5-Spot league go here!

So what have you learned so far?

Old 02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: So what have you learned so far?

I don't want to start a hunting vs. target war.....but I don't do ANYTHING the same as whenI hunt. I catch myself having to contort to miss lims when I hunt.......bending from the waist to shoot downward.....etc...

Shooting spots is repetitive, alright. I'll give you that. I also catch myself in hunting situations holding my bow at full draw........looking outside the sight window for target reference/recognition........just a MYRIAD of differences.

To"ME".....they are 2 separatethings. Totally.

I won't say my target shooting won't help my hunting.....but they're totally different in my eye.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thru members input i have resolved my arm slap issues( it was not to much draw length) my arm was locked and i used to much of the palm of my hand when gripping the bowand my fingers were to tense. my weakness is shooting in freezing temps and battling the mental part of the game. my strong part is im having a ball doing this and having fun. I know what the perfect shot feels like when i do everything right and know when i miss, that it was something i did because it did not feel right.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've learned that I wish I had started shooting spots and keeping score a long time ago. I now have a 2005 ProTec I am setting up for spots and maybe some 3D. No scope on it but lower poundage so I can shoot more. I have tried different things with releases and anchor points to find what works best for me. I used to be one of those that would shoot starting in August and make sure all was good for hunting. Now I will be shooting a lot more and trying to burn into my memory how to make the shot without having to THINK about it all the time. I think THAT alone will make me a much better hunter.

As for mental game HELL YES. If I have a lot going on that night I just can't seem to shoot very well as I let too many other things creep into my thoughts.

Last thing is what a great way to have some fun with a bunch of guys and gals that like to do the same thing.