Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 HNI 5-Spot League
 So what have you learned so far? >

So what have you learned so far?

Community
2007 HNI 5-Spot League Questions, comments, concerns, and trash-talk about the 2007 5-Spot league go here!

So what have you learned so far?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So what have you learned so far?

I never realized how much your mind played an impact on your shooting ability. As Bols mentioned, I used to just go out 2 or 3 times a week and "shoot". I now know what it really takes to do well. My mental game isnt close to being where I want it. I still find myself thinking about thingslike school, and hoping not to drop a shot. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm getting there. Now I just need to get these darn girls out of my head, and focus on the x count.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bols

I would love to know if anyone has any good reads or DVD's on mental preparation. The LAS catalog is full of different books, DVD's, training tools, but I don't know how to sort through them without some personal opinion.
With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham. He was an Olympic Gold medalist and the book goes over a lot of sports psychology stuff that teaches you to build a "mental management system". Best piece of literature on it I have seen and highly recommended by Larry Wise, as well as many others.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: Bols

I would love to know if anyone has any good reads or DVD's on mental preparation. The LAS catalog is full of different books, DVD's, training tools, but I don't know how to sort through them without some personal opinion.
With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham. He was an Olympic Gold medalist and the book goes over a lot of sports psychology stuff that teaches you to build a "mental management system". Best piece of literature on it I have seen and highly recommended by Larry Wise, as well as many others.
Funny you should mention that book, because when browsing through the LAS catalog, that one was the only one that reallystuck out to me as being a solidbook for "preparing my mental game."

Thanks for the input RJ.

I was going to see if my local Barnes and Noble could order it.

If not, I am in need of getting a release soon, so I might have to make a phone call to PA andplacemy first, of probably many,Lancaster orders.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i learned i am horrible at shooting when the temps ar ein the teens with the 30 mph wind chill crosswind helping you out
Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

What have learned so far .... well I learned that if your going to join a five spot league in Jan. and Feb. for eight weeks , you better have a warm indoor place to shoot.
Really I learned that five spot is like shooting at a 3D range , you need to concentrate on your shooting and aiming.
It is alot of fun to shoot at five targets and trying to improve on how many X's you can hit.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have learned that I need to practice. Taking my bow out of the case once a week to shoot my league is not good enough.....that is unless I am content with a 293 avg......(which I'm not ok with)
Old 02-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I nned to get my mucsls in better shape to shoot that many times.....and when I get tired to slow down a bit and take my time!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

None of you target shooters take this the wrong way.....because I mean nothing by it. I've also learned that shooting at targets has NOTHING to do with hunting. I shoot "OK".....I do "OK" in the local 3D shoots I enter.....but this target shooting is "HARD", to me!....lol You guys shooting high 290's and 300's have my respect. I honestly don't know how you do it with hunting rigs. I also don't take ANY time to shoot. I shoot.....retrieve....shoot...retrieve....repeat.. ..until I'm done. I can DEFINITELY feel fatigue creep into my scores....but I don't want to spend an evening shooting at a dot, either. To me.....it's not worth it for this to take much time. How much time do you guys usually take to shoot?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

None of you target shooters take this the wrong way.....because I mean nothing by it. I've also learned that shooting at targets has NOTHING to do with hunting. I shoot "OK".....I do "OK" in the local 3D shoots I enter.....but this target shooting is "HARD", to me!....lol You guys shooting high 290's and 300's have my respect. I honestly don't know how you do it with hunting rigs. I also don't take ANY time to shoot. I shoot.....retrieve....shoot...retrieve....repeat.. ..until I'm done. I can DEFINITELY feel fatigue creep into my scores....but I don't want to spend an evening shooting at a dot, either. To me.....it's not worth it for this to take much time. How much time do you guys usually take to shoot?
I can agree to a point but shooting dots has a lot to do with hunting to me. Target shooting is a way for me to enjoy my bow and hang out with like minded people during the offseason. I have much more drive to be successful in the woods chasing whitetails than I do target shooting however. Spot shooting takes a far back set to 3D shooting to me as well as spots is the transition from hunting to the 3D season. This is why I don't have a 30" stabilizer and a 4X scope, spots just aren't that important to me either. I have more fun shooting them with my hunting or 3D bow than I would a spot specific setup.

It takes under an hour for me when I shoot a 5 spot round. I shoot much like you, shoot an end and then retrieve them.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

None of you target shooters take this the wrong way.....because I mean nothing by it. I've also learned that shooting at targets has NOTHING to do with hunting.
I couldn't disagree more Jeff; It doesn't matter if it's with a spot rig, a 3-D rig or in hunting good shot execution is good shot execution. To me spot shooting is all about making the perfect shot (and then repeating it every time). The repetition of it drives that shot execution sequence into your subconscience so that it's always there when you need it and you don't have to think about it. Becoming a better shooter makes us all better hunters in the end.

Quick Reply: So what have you learned so far?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.