Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14) >

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Old 11-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

First off, OMG, thank you forum members for the overwhelming emails and PM's I received. You people are amazing and know how to put pressure on a guy. You know who you are and it's because of you that I love this forum, website, family and contest. There are some amazing members here and the few pathetic ones sure get hidden amoungst the mass of genuine good people. I applaud you.

As far as the issue at hand, the majority and the overwhelming facts at hand DQ lethal's buck. Sorry young man, perhaps we all could learn something from the this.

That being said, I'm taking back the contest forum. Thank you Greg / MO for stepping up and handling the update in the Official Score thread.

Congratulations to Team Reverse the Curse and Matt / PA leader and captain.

To follow up on the contest.

Next year if God willing and we're all here to participate there will in fact be added ammendments to the existing rules. Those rules will be strictly enforced and those that don't like it, stay the hell out of the contest and quit your whining! How's that GregH. By the way, thank you sir. RESPECT!

1. Deer(whitetail/mulie/blacktail)must be taken legally and ethically as laws apply in the state your hunting including tags.

Rule number one kinda speaks for itself.

2. Archery equipment only which include crossbows, compounds, longbows and recurves. One bow contest only.

You'd think that this one needn't be explained but for the life of me I'm appauled that it does. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE TAKEN BY WITH ARCHERY EQUIPMENT. Understand?

3. Antlered deer only (whitetail, mule, blacktail)including antlered doe, if it's tagged with a buck tag, it's in.

Kinda self explanatory too.

4. We will be using the Pope & Young Gross/Green scoring system, no deductions. Velvet bucks scored the same. (See percentages below)

Whitetail (as norm):125/125 = score x 1
Columbia blacktail: 125/90 = score x 1.39
Sitka blacktail: 125/75 = score x 1.67
Mule deer: 125/145 = score x 0.86

I don't think anyone has had any issue with this one, yet.

5. Open to all members new and old unless your signed up in another bow contest on HNI(only), please don't sign up and disappear, you'll be replaced. No more than 10 persons per team, drawn randomly....alternate's when necessary starting with first come first serve....I'll oversee it.

Hopefully the good Lord will bless me with the opportunity to oversee it again next year. With the new rules, it'll be easier and if you want to whine, I could care less. Too many great members here to be concerned with little people. If you don't like it, stay out. It's a great contest and those not in don't effect those that are here to enjoy themselves. There are great opportunities and great people to meet to miss it. To each their own otherwise.

6. Signup begins July 15th, Deadline to join is Sept 1st , with alternates then being taken until Oct 1st or as needed to complete teams. (amended by majority vote, teams picked after 420 signups, in fear of not enough alts, alts being taken as needed and possible new teams formed drawn randomly)

Again, next July we'll open the signups through whatever the demand requires. The problem arises with no shows and one time visitors. I think I did a pretty good job of handling it this year and if you missed out, I apologize but there is next year. Enjoy your stay here on HNI until then. Who knows what the demand will be next year but I can assure you, it's overwhelming for me. I made a comment to my wife, I don't know what the hell I would have done with the demand of this contest had I not been injured. The time off allowed me to build this one. We'll see what happens next season. I know many of you offered your assistance and I greatly appreciate it.

7. You must have a pictured posted on the contest page within the Official Score Card thread to enter a deer. The bow must be in the picture and the entire deer must be in the picture, no skull pictures, no rack pictures...the buck, the bow, and yourself must be in the picture.....call me skeptical. This rule will be enforced this year, no exceptions with no apologies.

We enforced this last year after being "easy" on it in the past. Many members here said, RULES ARE RULES and they were right. One reason this one became pretty strict. I apologize to the members this year who...ooopsed and forgot the bow. Ryan, my7point...great bucks regardless, way to go. Congrats to both of you. However, the past dictates this year. We learned how necessary it was this year to actually have this rule.

And the reason for the score breakdown became apparant when there was some stretching of the antler and ignorance of the how to.....

8. Total number of inches of all team member's animals will decide the winner....see rule 4.

Real easy to figure this one out right?

9. You must enter the first bow kill antlered deer you get.....second buck for you lucky states will not count. First buck means first taken regardless of multi state hunts.

OKAY, this one will need some clearification and changes made to it. I see this was taken advantage of "just in case" a bigger buck was taken. I know of 3 incidents this year so..

9a. There will be only a 14 day allowance to notify the contest committee of a buck down for the contest. The contest committee consisting of team captains, moderators and admin. It only takes an email, phone call, test message, post to team thread or post to the Bowhunting forum to report your kill. After that 14 day period the shooter is disqualified. This will ensure that no one is hunting for a second entry. Once notification has been made, entries only need entered by contest closure to be counted.

9b. First buck of the year only. Second bucks killed with archery tackle will not be accepted even if the first buck is taken with a gun. There has been some gun harvests and then bowhunting taken back out into the field. That is not fair to single tag states and what rule 9 was intended for.
This one is questionable per the current debate. Not yet a final rule, up in the air and for determination from both sides of the coin. Please, a healthy debate.
9b is dead, we will NOT add this to the rules next year. Thanks all for the healthy debate. Kudos to you all. Especially BigJ12, that impressed me to no end.

10. No penned shot deer accepted, deer must be a free range wild animal regardless private or public land. Guided hunts acceptable as long as the animals are free range.

Self explanatory. Some have an issue with gujided hunts but what else can be done? Perhaps an * beside the score? Don't know, again, I don't have an issue with guided hunts.

11. All disagreements, controversies and conflicts will be decided on by a majority vote from a panel consisting of Team Capt's and moderators participating within the contest. Those decisions will be final.

Seems there were those that were not team captains that took issue with this. Tough! Run for captain next year or simply stay out of the contest.

12. Contest deadline is Feb 15th.

Anyone else think this is a long time? I know some seasons are open til then.

13. Rules set forth for a smooth contest, the main rule is to have fun and enjoy your fellow teammates and all the smack talk that goes along with this contest.

Self explanatory but again, perhaps not so obvious.

There ya have it, next years rules and regulations so you have til now through next years signups to think about having another great season, or staying the hell out of the way.

These rules demand respect and you will give it to them with out hestitation...

How's that GregH, [8D]

Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Okay, This is the way it is!

Glad to have ya back my friend. As you know, Greg did a great job the last couple days, and I want to thank him as well. You really do a great job at this, and I very much appreciate your efforts.

Just for clarification....the additions to rule 9 are for next year, yes?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back Rob, I am glad you decided to see your baby thru the season. We NEED you to run this monster! Just don't let one or two people ruin this contest for all of the good people on here. Most guys look forward to this contest all year. It would be a shame too lose it over such an obvious violation of the rules.

I believe the right decisions were made, and the new rules should help in the future. And they may need to be tweaked again, who knows.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

This year stands as is, this thread is for next year.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I respect the heck out of you for stepping up and ignoring the negativity here and just doing this anyhow. I'm sure it's a thankless job and you do this to the best of your ability. I think a lot of people lose sight of this, and the fact that you were following the rules as stated before this thing started. You do an excellent job and your help is appreciated.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome back Rob. Don't let a few people get ya down. You do an awesome job and we all appreciate it.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx Rob.

i tried to PM you today and it looked like you deleted your profile...got on now to PM someone that would KNOW the story...just didnt wanna see that...i knew you were bigger than that...

and thanx Greg and HNI for keeping it running...after all the fuss, it would been REAL easy to click the DELETE button and just delete the whole contest, end of story...

the majority of us love the bow contest...i know i really enjoy it, and learn alot from it...would be a sad day to see it go away...
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Respect given, glad to see you back Rob.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back Rob. I hope it wasn't something I said!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Say it LOUD, Brother! Don't let the whiners ruin it for ya!

LOVE the new rules!

Quick Reply: Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.