Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14) >

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Okay, This is the way it is!

Talondale that is just too funny.. I say rules are rules and once they have been placed then if you do not like them or for some reason don't think you will be able to abideby them then do not enter the contest. Pretty simple I think. Starting to seem like a soap opera "Asthe Huntingnetturns"
Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Okay, This is the way it is!

Late for the party too; I have been away on vacation and I just foundthis thread and waded through it.

First of all, thanks for seeing this through Rob! It seems the issue has been decided,but I wanted tovoice my opinion (whichrepeats a lot of what has already been said) on these three issues:

1. First buckwith a bow is sufficient.
A. I think the rule may helpprovide a little incentive for bowhunters to restrain from whacking the first basket 8'er that walks by - a good thing, imho.
B. Shooting a nice buck with a gun that one could hunt in a late bowseason handicaps that bowhunter, butthat aloneshould not be cause for eliminationfrom a bowhunting contest. If a team memberdecidesit is more important to filltheir onlybuck tagbygun than risk eating it in a late bowseason, so be it.These guys/gals exist, and they are randomlydistributed amongst the teams. Perhaps a little peer pressure from teammates would enlighten them - if not, live with it.

2. The 14 day (I would prefer 10 days, myself) team thread notification rule is good.
A.I think that this isnot asking too much for a team contest.
B.I have done statistical analyses of "hunter success" for the past contests and this one. From a data analysis perspective, I would like to see the date of the kill and time of the shot posted with the entry - most hunters posted this information, but not all. I don't have the energy to chase everyone down who didn't.

3. Require a picture with the buck, the bow, and the hunter.
A. Call itthe 2008 HNIBowhunting Team Photo Contest if necessary... however, I do not think it necessary to require field photos or"quality" photos, for that matter. (e.g. If abuckhas been scavenged by yotes overnight and the hunter recovers/tags/and gets a proper photograph,the hunter should be allowed to enter the buck).If someone wants to pick up a roadkill andpose itastheir hero pic, then shame on them - sad to say, there will be cheats in any endeavor, whether thecontest is for fun or not. Just point out discrepancies (road rash, bulging eyes, or whatever) and let the team capts rule...

-----------------------
The contest rules are necessary - theygo a long way in helpinglevel a playing field that stretches across North America. Make the rules, and if you enter the contest, live with them...

I think the concept of the team contest is great! I've got to know some great guys who I would have never crossed paths with otherwise...

-fsh