Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 32-Official Team Freakdaddys Thread >

32-Official Team Freakdaddys Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

32-Official Team Freakdaddys Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Default RE: 32-Official Team Freakdaddys Thread

well fellas the deer are starting to move a little bit here in Oklahoma ,,,I'm going to go out Saturday morning and evening,,we have a pretty nice buck running around our place so wish me luck,,,,Has anyone on our team had any luck yet??
Old 11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

not yet!!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another three days in the books.... no bone in the yard. But I will say this... until two weeks ago, I'd hunted the whole month of October and not even seen a deer until well after dark. Then Thursday before last finally had a doe commit hari kari at 17 steps and got the skunk out of the stand. With a little something in the freezer I've been REAL picky. Here is what went down the past three day trip....

Tuesday 10/30: Hunted what I call "The Bridge" stand... its a two seater and really designed as a rifle/gun stand. It lies between a THICK pine 7 year cutover and what is usually a super wet beaver swamp (lots of wood ducks usually as well). There is a large 200 acre soybean field behind me and in this "bridge" which is about 50 yards wide and 125 yards long are large pines, a few oaks and poplar and green briar... basically a great staging area for deer headed to the field. Since it did in fact in August/Sept go 45 days with nay a drop of rain, there is NO WATER in it AT ALL. What is usually the main part of the creek channels, where the beavers swim is now just a dry ditch and its all grown up with grass. Good heaven but the feed we will have if it ever rains and refills with water... we'll have ducks over our waders. Anyhow, the deer are crossing this now dry swamp, and it looks like something you'd see in Montana. The trails are litterally so beaten down it looks like someone has been dragging bodies through there. This is the spot that I missed that 9pt the week before... infact, I found my arrow on Tuesday that I missed that deer with not 10 feet in front of that two seater stand. That evening, I heard deer moving late, around 7pm. It was DARK and I was about to get down when I heard them crossing the open area. Like the retard I often am, I broke out the Surefire and decided to see what we had. A doe fawn and momma first... and guess who behind them.... not the one I missed, but a great 8pt I would have rolled had he shown up 15 minutes earlier. 23 yards from the stand in the wide ass open. He even posed for me that SOB knowing I wouldn't shoot him with a light. I almost chucked the light at him. His g2s are an easy 9 inches long each. Width was probably around 16". Not super wide, but great mass and tall. I'd have let him wear it...

Wednesday 10/31: I took my climber in early and moved further down this small shoot of land another 40 yards. I found where that deer crossed in front of me in the dark and then walked out into the open dry area and set my stand 15 yards downwind of it. I was ready to roll and set at about 230. At 610, I heard the first deer and saw it moving down the road (off our property by the way... this stand is right on the border), and then out into the open dry area.... at 620 he stepped out... another heavier, but not quite as tall 8pt. Mature deer too. I threw everything I had at him. Bleats, bawls and even a snort wheese. He stopped shortly, but kept on rolling... I guessed him to be at least 80 yards from me. Way too far for a shot. But in plenty enough light. Every 5 minutes from then on, more deer came out... some on the same path as that buck, but some did filter my way. I let a doe, yearling and fawn go and then a 6pt came by. Behind him was another 8pt. VERY wide... I'd say nearly 18". But he had no mass and poor tine heigth... honestly I think the deer may have been a yearling buck, if not then def a 2.5. Knowing that I can do better, I let him walk. I was at full draw already... but there were/are bigger deer in the area, and with 30 minutes of light left... I was hopeful. I had a few more does come by, and more out in the open dry area... but save a raccoon... that was that.

Thursday 11/1: I got up early and moved a lock on stand out into a tulip poplar right between where I was the night before and only 25 yards from where all the deer came out the night prior. This stand I have named "the border station".. because it sits about 40 yards from the property line, and right at dark.. all the deer run across the border onto our property. Cute name or what? That night I saw nothing but does. I saw a lot of deer walking down the neighbors road, which is the property line, and then coming out into the dry area... again... too far for even a shot. Right after dark, a deer came close, but I couldn't see it anyway. Then, despite the showers, the wind and scent-lok... I got busted. The deer obviously smelled some of my scent from earlier that day, when I had been poking around. Honestly, I'd pressured the area pretty hard the last few days, and really should have given it a rest, even though the wind was right. So goes life.

Anyway... back at it again on Tuesday. Smokepole season opened today, and I know that one guy whom I talked with is hunting that two seater stand. I told him a little bit about what I had seen, but not too much. I'm a good fellow club member, he and his brother donated like 9 stands... mostly two seaters and hung them for everyone to use. So with that sort of work and good gesture, I wasn't about to totally re-nig on him and let him fend for himself. And there are so many bucks in there, it almost doesn't matter. Typically, the "good part" of the chasing/seeking phase of the rut happens during the next two weeks, and its certainly seeming to be on time this year.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice...man you right too much!!

Well Saturday mourning I seen 2 bucks and 2 does....well one buck was at least a 10pt.I had him at 20-25yds.The sun haven't broke yet and I couldn't tell what he was till later in the mourning.

Today...MOURNING-I got busted on my way to the stand
Evening- I seen 15 total....4 bucks and 11 does.Fresh Rubs and Scrapes.No bucks came into range except a little 5-6pt.I was going to shoot him(team points) when he went behine me.I turned around to watch him come up.He Snort-Wheezed about 5 time..I looked around and seen a guy stalkin up on ti him.I grabed my Grunt call..blew it as hard as I could to scare the deer.Then I whistled at him and told him to come over to my stand.I told him what I thought about it!! Well the biggest buck was prolly a 140" buck..him and a small 8 was sparring..The big buck chased does around.

Anyone get'en good action??
Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing up here[:@]. Too much construction and too warm. According to my trail cams their still pretty much nocternal. Starting today there is a cold front moving in so I hope to see some daylight movement going. I'll be checking the cams every other day.
Great storys Swamp. Ducks starting to move south a little.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man..we've seen some Geese Down here...but we think they are Residents!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Big Doe Down!

Pics coming soon.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

sweet man!! Congrats
Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

my Emma

Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice to see shes not afraid touch!!

Quick Reply: 32-Official Team Freakdaddys Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.