Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread >

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

That very well could be.. But I sure dont remember any branches in the way.. I'll have to look tonight when I'm in the tree.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like the team luck is just to hit bucks.

I took yesterday off to go hunting in a spot that I picked preseason and haven't hunted yet. Set up my stand with deer lure all around me and called every once in a while. At approx 11:40 I see a buck coming up through the woods from one of the other stand locations that I had chosen. I notice that he's walking funny. When he passes broadside I see that he's missing about a foot of hit rear right leg. It doesn't look like a new wound and he actually steps on the stump when he walks.

All I can see at this time is that he's a 3 on the right side and looked like only a spike or 2 on the left. Has to be a 6 to shoot. So, he swings up around behind me at about 35 yds and I still can't make out the left side very well. When he gets to about the 2 o'clock position he stops and looks left. That's when I see that he's at least a 6. So, I start calling but he ignores the calls. He takes about 2 more lurches and stops dead in his tracks and throws his nose in the air. Turns around and starts coming back. I pick my spot and wait for him to get there. Right when he does he stops and I hit the trigger and he decides to start moving and lurches again. The arrow goes in about 6" below his spine and right behind his back leg. I'm like son of a b$%$%. He runs off about 100 yds or so and stops then starts lurching slowly away.

I wait about 40 min and slowly and quietly get out of the tree and walk over to find my arrow. Only 1 speck of blood on one of the Blazers and skin material on the arrow. I find some dark hairs that are from high on a deer. Call the station to get a tacker to help me and about 2 hrs later we head off. It was very windy yesterday and the furtherest we could follow his tracks were to about where I saw him last.

No blood anywhere. We look about another 400 yds back and forth and nothing. I think the arrow passed below his back and above his stomach and hope he's ok.

I think that if it would have been a normal deer the arrow would have hit him in the liver at worst. The way he walked he would lurch forward about 2 feet when he pushed off his back legs and I probably should have waited until I knew he was standing dead still. So, that's 2 bucks that our team should have down.

Like Brad has said about the time and money put it I feel the same way. I've been shooting steady since February to prepare for this season. The arrow was when exactly where I was aiming. The deer just didn't stay in place.

A side note. If you guys have never tried blazers you should. I followed the arrow the whole way to the deer at 35 yds.

I'm off to hunt a big buck on the Eastern Shoreand will be back to that location next weekend and hope the guy comes through again for me and gives me another chance.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a bummer.. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!. Sounds like you definately Hit High.. Dark hair, No blood, some meat.. If you would have hit any lower you would have either spined him, or when through his chest or stomach area.. Then you would definately have blood. YOu hit above the spine, Deer is fine.. He very well might be back.. Look at mine!! I've done the above the spine thing before.. Actually I did it on a 9 pt that a guy I know shot at and did the same thing.. My uncle ended up shooting it gun season.. 3rd times the Charm I guess.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

OK GUYS.. I"M BAFFLED BIG TIME... I guess what I thought I saw on that HIT DEER last Night was not what really happened.. I got photos of him this morning at my Dads Stand 300 yrds away. UNREAL!! See the scar, thats the opposite side i shot at.. Hit a Branch? Maybe that was the WHACK I heard.. I DONT KNOW.. Here's the PIC..

Tough break on the buck Brad, it happens to the best of us sooner or later if you hunt long enough.
What i think happened is the "whack" u heard was the arrow deflecting of a branch, then it got redirected high and passed thru just above the spine were the exit wound is. other than that its got me puzzled too man.
One good thing is you got some closure on him and you know he's still kicking, Get out there ASAP the next morning ya can, i think i see a pattern.

Dave...sounds like you may of hit the so called "void" area on the deer.
HE might make it...its hard to say hopefully he does and the yotes dont get him. Not much you can do when they move like that right as your touching the realease off. man thats a bummer, there is stilll time to redeme yourself.

The next time ill be going out is this weekend, im going to hunt a stand i havent hunted yet this year...so with a little luck i will get a crack at one.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry Dave, we still have time. Don't give up team, we are closer than ever!
Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the lack of blood I know that I didn't hit anything fital. Not even the stomach.

I'm heading to the Easern Shore now and will fill you guys in on how it went when I get back Monday. Next week I'm going back into the area where the buck was and try to get him. Have a good and safe hunt guys and a great weekend.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

You too Dave.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Sat last night in the stand where the BIG MISS happened, or should I say, MISHAP..!! Saw a Gobbler when I got to my stand, he was sucking up the corn, and then only 3 fawns after that. SLOW night.. Although at 2 p.m. on my way home from work, 2 blocks from home, two REAL NICE 8 were checking and chasing does.. Maybe I should be hunting out of my Bedroom window..I could always hang my wife out the window to shed some DOE scent.. LOL.. well, I'll be back at it tonight I think, and then tomorrow morning in the stand where I have a picture of him at 7:40a.m. Hopefully he's still around and not off chasing does...

Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

Sunday Morning while I was at work.... MAN O MAN..

Take a look at the tarsels on him, i would of thought they would be a lot darker on him by now...what do you guysthink?

The chasing is begun here too, I went out to camp (rifle hunting area) yesterday to bait mine and my grandpa's blinds and seen a smaller 8 point chasing a doe on the way in. And ran across this huge fresh scrape in the snow with a moose like track, he walked the logging road and cut in near my box blind.

Have fun Dave, and good luck this weekend.

With a little luck he may still be in feeding mode, good luck Brad!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

hey whats up you guys im sorry i havent posted in a while but dont worry ive been keeping up to date on things, well here we go you guys im ashamed of myselves but here we go i missed a 150" 9 point with split brow tine yesterday from the ground at 5 yrds[:'(][:'(][:@]it was a great shot but i shot under him because the sight was dead on at that close but i held low anyways i guess in the heat of the moment i forgot to hold dead on but what can you do im heading back tommorow evening and im going to try to grunt and rattle him in again hopefully it will work and if not maybe ill get a smack at one of his brothers

Quick Reply: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.