HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 AM
davepjr71
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Seems like the team luck is just to hit bucks.

I took yesterday off to go hunting in a spot that I picked preseason and haven't hunted yet. Set up my stand with deer lure all around me and called every once in a while. At approx 11:40 I see a buck coming up through the woods from one of the other stand locations that I had chosen. I notice that he's walking funny. When he passes broadside I see that he's missing about a foot of hit rear right leg. It doesn't look like a new wound and he actually steps on the stump when he walks.

All I can see at this time is that he's a 3 on the right side and looked like only a spike or 2 on the left. Has to be a 6 to shoot. So, he swings up around behind me at about 35 yds and I still can't make out the left side very well. When he gets to about the 2 o'clock position he stops and looks left. That's when I see that he's at least a 6. So, I start calling but he ignores the calls. He takes about 2 more lurches and stops dead in his tracks and throws his nose in the air. Turns around and starts coming back. I pick my spot and wait for him to get there. Right when he does he stops and I hit the trigger and he decides to start moving and lurches again. The arrow goes in about 6" below his spine and right behind his back leg. I'm like son of a b$%$%. He runs off about 100 yds or so and stops then starts lurching slowly away.

I wait about 40 min and slowly and quietly get out of the tree and walk over to find my arrow. Only 1 speck of blood on one of the Blazers and skin material on the arrow. I find some dark hairs that are from high on a deer. Call the station to get a tacker to help me and about 2 hrs later we head off. It was very windy yesterday and the furtherest we could follow his tracks were to about where I saw him last.

No blood anywhere. We look about another 400 yds back and forth and nothing. I think the arrow passed below his back and above his stomach and hope he's ok.

I think that if it would have been a normal deer the arrow would have hit him in the liver at worst. The way he walked he would lurch forward about 2 feet when he pushed off his back legs and I probably should have waited until I knew he was standing dead still. So, that's 2 bucks that our team should have down.

Like Brad has said about the time and money put it I feel the same way. I've been shooting steady since February to prepare for this season. The arrow was when exactly where I was aiming. The deer just didn't stay in place.

A side note. If you guys have never tried blazers you should. I followed the arrow the whole way to the deer at 35 yds.

I'm off to hunt a big buck on the Eastern Shoreand will be back to that location next weekend and hope the guy comes through again for me and gives me another chance.