Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 30-Official Team Dirty 30 Thread >

30-Official Team Dirty 30 Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

30-Official Team Dirty 30 Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-Official Team Dirty 30 Thread

Way to go TX!!! Let me know on the score and I'll get it reported!

I had a pretty poor hunting weekend. Saw my first shooter buck in range on Fri night, 9 pointer about 135, he got right underneath me before I knew he was there. Wind was blowing about 20 mph and I never heard him approach and he came from behind me. Well, he came out in front of me and walked straight away from me, I contemplated a shot, but did not take it. he walked off never knowing I was there, which was pretty cool. The guy I hunt with got video of a 170+ about 100 yards frmo where I was, so we know there is one giant out there. Hunted Sat morn and didn't see a thing, then the wind picked up and never quit until today. Yesterday gusts to 45. No hunting this week then Canada all next week!!! Hopefully we can get a couple more down.

Congrats again tx!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 AM

Congrates there TX Good lookin buck. I hope to get mine some time this week as it is the last week off work from having surgery. So I need to get it done
Old 10-22-2007, 07:29 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

Congratulationson the buck TX!More pork (you got a small hog a bit ago didn't you?) and now some venison, freezer should be looking good.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

That a boy TX!!!! Way to get us on the board...

Sorry that i have not been on much.... Pre rut activity is kickin in and hopefully will see some more bucks than i have seen recently.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Tx! First score.

I shot and lost a buck Saturday night. He came in last light.I was actually preparing to get down (swirling winds had me hunting a climbing stand) and I heard him come in behind me. I didn't have my glove on and had put my arrow in my quiver. I grabbed an arrow, turned around and looked for the deer. It was probably the last 5 minutes of legal light but I was in the woods so it was pretty gloomy. I spotted him and could see that he seemed like a decent buck and I told myself he had to get close for a shot in this light. He grazed on the white oak acorns to about 25 feet away from me. He had his head down and broadside when I took the shot. On release I couldn't even see the arrow in flight or where it hit him. I have white nocks and 6" of white reflective wrap but I couldn't see it (lumi-nock would have been great). He took off like a bolt. I could hear my arrow banging off things as he ran. He only ran for a couple seconds and then, silence. The hit didn't have that hollow sound chest cavity hits have. He ran towards my neighbors property. I called my hunting buddy and he and his wife (she had shot over the backof a small 5 pointer 10 minutes earlier)started my way. We searched the spot where I shot him but couldn't find anything: hair norblood. We looked briefly over where I last heard him but didn't see anything. I was hoping the reflective tape on my arrows would help us spot him. My neighbors property is big open hardwoods with next to no understory. It looks like a city park with hardly even any leaves on the ground in areas. If he was in there we'd spot him. We went back to my house and had some grilled marinated backstraps wrapped in bacon and then he and I went back up with a couple of Coleman lanterns. We couldn't find any blood, even on a dirt road60 yards away frommy standhe would have had to cross given the direction he ran. We scoured the neighbors woods and the area beyond his, then went uphill and worked our way down on my property from where the buck had come from remembering Matt's ordeal and that bucks often double back. Nothing. He crashed at my house since it was already close to midnight and he had a 1:45 drive back to his place. 7:30 the next morning we got up and did a more extensive and detailed grid search but found nothing. Not even my arrow. This is the second time this scenario has happened to me and I determined I'm ending my hunts 5 minutes earlier. Those low light shots just don't allow you to gather enough information at/after the hit to make a determination on how well you hit the deer, and where he went. I suspect I made a high shoulder shot and that he ran briefly and then walked away, which is why I couldn't hear him anymore. My arrow may have flown out and away into the heavy cover on my property but I couldn't find it even with the aid of lights and reflective wraps. Really wish I had a glow nock on it, or that I hadn't taken the shot. It seemed like such a gimme chip shot, if there is such a thing in bowhunting.I'm going to keep my eye out for him, and vultures. I'll be hunting a different farm this weekend where I saw a 150 class buck at 10 yards during a stalk last year but couldn't get a clear shot. Hopefully we'll meet again under more advantageous (for me) circumstances.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

sorry to hear about that talon... same thing happened to me 2 years ago.... i felt terrible that we could not find this buck!!! good luck on the 150 class
Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

congrats tx on the buck!! Sorry to here about the buck Talondale, that really sucks.

I finally had a little luck on Saturday night as well. I had a buck come in that i have gotten on camera the last three years, He has four points on one side and then like a ten inch beam on the other side that forks on the top. I really wanted to take this deer out seeings he is probably never going to get any bigger and his genetics suck. But I opted to pass on him, hoping I run into him in 2 weeks when gun season starts and I have my nephew with me - I think it would be an awesome first deer for him. After he went by I had 2 does and a fawn come out of the corn about 10 minutes later. They slowly worked into shooting range and stopped at 35 yards. I drew back on the biggest doe - the one that didn't have the fawn with her, and just as i let the arrow fly that buck ame bolting out of the corn right behind her and she jumped about a foot forward. My arrow struck her right in the ham area behind the stomach. I heard a loud thwack like it had hit a bone or something and my arrow was still sticking about about 6 inches when she took off. She made it about ten yards and my arrow broke, the funny thing is is that i found both ends at the same spot, my broadhead must have just been sticking out the other side when she started running, her hip/back leg busted the arrow. I heard her run into the corn field and then all of the sudden the noise stopped. So i got down and was sick to my stomache from the shot placement, I made the 3/4 of a mile walk back to my truck and then waited about 20 min. I was able to drive my truck pretty close to where i shot her via a picked bean field. So i got on her trail and it was unbelievable, there was blood everywhere - I had hit the Femoral artery. She had only made it about 60 yards and had bleed out. The 2 blade rage really proved itself with this one. The only thing that sucked is i didn't get any pics, it was about 70 degrees I had nobody to help me drag it or field dress it, so by the time i got it out of there, I took it home and quartered it out and threw it in the refigerator until I could get it to the locker.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe FF. Yeah that femoral arteryhas saved some bad shots for several people. Glad you recovered her. I went back up last night and checked another area for sign of that buck but... nada. I'm going to assume it was a flesh wound and he'll recover. Possibly a high shoulder or above spine shot. Sure wish I had a glow nock on for that shot. I left the woods a little earlier and think that's what I'll do in the future as well. I'll just pretend I need camera light.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 AM

Well I went yesterday afternoonwasn't that bad got to the feild at 4:30 got in the stand at 4:50 and the bottom falls out of the sky at 4:55 and rains like pooring water out of a bucket tell 5:25 slacks up and a light rain sets in. All in seen 3 does and 1 fawn. 2 does was within 10 yards and 0 bucks and 1 soakin wet idiot deer hunter (me). Not to bad though at least seen some deer.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad shot a doe last night and we tracked her for about 80 yards and lost the blood when she changed direction from downhill to parallel with the hill. We suspected she was in the area but couldn't find her. He went back in this morning and found her within 50 feet of where we stopped looking. Something had gotten to her and started to eat her from the backend first and then covered her with leaves. Do foxes or coyotes cover their "kill" or only cats (bobcat)? We have bears in the area too but not sure what got his doe. I hate to think coyotes are in the area heavy, though I'm sure there are some in the area.

Quick Reply: 30-Official Team Dirty 30 Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.