Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread >

5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

The rain finialy quit. Katie and I will be heading back out today after church.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Fantastic job Howler! Beautiful scenery also. I've got the elk bug bad. I think I'm going to start alternating each year archery/muzzleloader out there in CO. I'll figure them out one of these years.

I scoutedmy new deer huntingarea last week and it looks pretty good. A lot of tracks, but very few rubs and no scrapes. Still a little early, but that should be changing in the next few weeks. My season starts next Sunday!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howler, Congrats. We have an elk herd here in North Central Pa that they have a drawing for tags each year. Thinking of applying one of these years.

Pa's season starts this Saturday. Won't get out this weekend due to my Daughter's soccer schedule but that's ok. I'm concentrating on a few big bucks this archery season and the area I hunt, I usually don't start seeing them until late October, so I probably won't spend much time if any all the first 2 weeks of the season.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

No luck last night. just got off work, a quick shower and im out of here. ill report back, but i think it is about time for a Doe.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck guys, TeeJay, I hope ya get us started off.

BG, if ya ever have any CO. elk related questions, let me know and I'll do my best to help ya out.

Pops, elk is good eatin', and there's a lot of meat on one, even a small one like mine. It's nice to have friends after ya shoot one too, it does take some work to get 'em hauled out of the woods!! Just being around them when thier bugling is worth a hunt. I compare them to turkey when they are really gobblin'. The elk bugle just gets my heart pumpin'
Old 09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

And nothing again....these deer are chapping my arse
Old 09-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes it takes alittle time to get the season started....I'm still waiting on the sidelines. LOL. In the next few weeks about everyone should be able to hunt and I expect we'll get on the score board early and often. Just counting down the days....
Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Howler thanks for the offer. I think what I need is to hunt with someone who has a lot of experience to tell me what I should be doing in ceratin situations. I have tried to find someone who would like to do a swap hunt whitetails for elk, but have had little success (which I expected). I think my biggest problem is that I try to get into the woods before the gun hunters to hunt bulls that have not seen that much pressure and the bulls are just no vocal enough. Not that they can't be killed at that time of year, but with my limited knowledge it's much harder for me to locate them.

I scouted out the new property for deer here in IN last night and found a lot of good sign. I found numerous places to hang a stand and they all had the perfect tree for a climber nearby soI ordered a new Summitt broadhead climber. This weekend is opening weekend and the weather looks great with a high of 60!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, so maybe i've changed my mind. Saw a great buck out feeding this am from 7:40 to about 8:10. Saw him from my office window, right where I was going to put my ladder stand. I'll get some pictures off the camera later today and post them.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's early TeeJay, don't let'em get under your skin already!

BG, do ya happen to have any preference points for here in CO. My cousin and I are planning on hunting a different area next year, BUT it takes 3 or 4 PP to get drawn. I'm no expert caller either, BUT one of the guys I have been hunting with used to guide elk hunters for an outfitter years ago, and he has taught me a lot about calling. And you're right, when the elk aren't talkin', they are hard to locate and in that situation, we were setting up and calling blind, sometimes for an hour in one spot, and we had a few bulls come in silent. When the bulls are silent, patience and confidence in your calling is what helps alot.

Pops, I like your way of scouting, "from my office window"!I can only wish!![&:]

Quick Reply: 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.