HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2006 Deer Hunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest-79/)
-   -   5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest/152871-5-team-tree-huggers-official-thread.html)

BGHUNTER00 08-21-2006 11:09 AM

5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

I guess I'll start it off. Name is Troy and I'll be doing all my hunting in Indiana. I'm shooting a Bowtech equipped with a WB (first time user), Tru Glow sights, Carbon Express Terminators tipped with 125g Montecs, and a Scott Mongoose release.

My season opens Oct 1st with the season really heating up close to Halloween. I'll be heading to Colorado in two weeks to chase some elk with my bow for the first time so that should be interesting. I've actually practiced more this year than I have in the past 5 combined. I have been consistent all the way out to 60 yards, which is very good for me. I've been very happy with the above mentioned set up thus far. I'll post some pictures (if I can figure out how) of the area I hunt in CO when I return, and maybe if I can be one of the successful 12%I'll have a picture of an elk also!!!

Team 5

11. Pops423
146. HighCountry_BruteForce
324. Big Country
101. teejay
155. War Eagle
263. Howler
93. BGHUNTER00
123. wibowhntr
349. runninback44
221. Wonder Boy

Howler 08-21-2006 11:32 AM

RE: 5- Team Official Thread

I'm here. How about a high five for team 5!!!!

I go by my initials, which are T.R. I'm 40 and have been archery huntin' for about 8 years now. I'll be doing my whitetail hunting on mine, and my familys farmland in N.C. Ks. I've already been out chasing speed goats last weekend, nothing yet, and I'll be chasing elk for the next two weekends here in CO.
I shoot a Mathews Legacy with the WB., 5575 arrows with the blazers and the TR Matrix 5 pin sight. I like using the inner-loc stainless steel 100 grain broadheads for big game.
I won't be getting back to the farm until sometime in Oct. to chase whitetail. My buddy will be putting up, and checking my trail cam for me, starting later this month. So, I hope to get a glimpse of some potential targets to help the team.
Go team 5!!

BGHUNTER00 08-21-2006 02:55 PM

Hey Howler. I think I've talked to you in the Big Game section a time or two. No luck yet with the antelope huh? You hunting in CO? I've accumulated several PP's over the years for them there in COso whenmy son is old enough I'll probably cash them in for a nice vacation.

You ever thought about hunting whitetails in Indiana? I could probably take the time to put you in a few of my spots since you would just about be passing through here. Just a thought. Good luck with the approaching elk season, I know I can't wait.

Howler 08-21-2006 03:48 PM

Yeah, my antelope area is about 35 miles east of my house here in Colo. The area is OTC archery, and takes about 3-4 PP's for rifle, so I'll draw a rifle tag next year.
As far as passing through Indiana way, hmmmm, oh I see where ya got that idea. Naw, my family's farm is in North Central Kan., not North Carolina!!;)We got some pretty descent whitetails running around there, so not much need to go any further east than that.:)
Any idea what area you plan on hunting elk in, out here? I've done a lot of rifle hunting for elk south of Gunnison, area 67. Have been archery hunting around Frasier for a few years now.
I didn't stick an antelope this last weekend, but I'll have two more three day weekends in Sept. to work 'em over some more. Just need a little luck, doin' the spot and stalk for now. It's tough!! Took me 9 days last year before I got one.
Hope some more team members chime in pretty soon!!!

Ken/WV 08-21-2006 06:13 PM

Hey guys, just checkin in so you know I'm here for the team.

My name is Ken, I have visited these forums for several years now. I've bowhunted since I was 14, and I'm now 23. I've had great success over the past few years...including taking a real nice 130" 9pt. and taking a pieballed button buck two seasons ago. I really look forward to this year just like every season.

I just bought a Switchback XT in early summer but haven't really dialed in with it like my High Country Brute Force. A couple weeks ago I upgraded some of the stuff on my High Country including a new Muzzy Zero Effect, and Copper John 5 pin sights. I haven't really decided what to take opening day, but I'm leaning toward old reliable.

Our season opens Oct 14 with the last week of October and first two weeks of November being the best time to be in a tree. I always take winter off work, so I should be in the stand daily waiting for the right deer. If I get any interesting trail cam pic's I'll be sure to post for the team.

But goodluck to all you guys on the team, and let's score early, and score often. :D

BGHUNTER00 08-22-2006 06:56 AM

Howler, I would also forgo Indiana for Kansas if I had the choice. I will be hunting in unit 140, Southeast CO just miles from the NM border. This will be my first time hunting this area.

Brute Force, I hunted deer in WV about 10 years ago just outside of Morgantown. Didn't see any nice deer, but there were plenty of turkeys. That was my first trip to WV and I pleasantly suprised how beautiful that part of the state was.

Howler 08-22-2006 07:08 AM

A Pieballed, now there's a real unique trophy!! I'd like to see a pic. or two of that!
Just curiosu, do you guys set a "goal" so to speak as far as size of bucks ya shoot? I'm a meat hunter first, BUT if I kill an elk this year, then I won't shoot any doe whitetails on the farm, AND I set a 130" minumum as my low end buck that I'll shoot, and this holds true through the season. If it gets down to the end of season, and I don't get an elk, than I will shoot another doe, or two. I can get upto 4 doe tags for my area in KS. SO, I don't shoot a buck every year, but when I do shoot one, it'll be a nice one.
Troy, I've never hunted in unit 140, so I don't know much about it. I could do some research, see if any of my many hunting buddys have hunted it, maybe get ya some leads!

Pops423 08-22-2006 09:56 AM

Hey guys. My name is Denny but I go by Pops423 on the board. Been around for years. Some of you may remember my 'Backyard Bucks' posts the last few years. I've lucked into a situation where I work out of my house and watch some big bucks run the does all fall long. I've already seen 2 bucks that are pushing 130, one of which I missed the last Thursday of last archery season.

I've been archery hunting since I was 14 (I'm 33 now) and hoping this is the year for one of the big bucks for me in archery. I shoot both a Mathews Outback and a Hoyt MT Sport. The Hoyt will probably be with me most of the season but I'm not sure yet.

I hunt in Western PA and most of my hunting doesn't start until mid to late Oct when the rut kicks in.With 2 small kids and an understanding wife, I try to limit my time away from them.

Ken/WV 08-22-2006 02:25 PM

Team 5

11. Pops423 Checked IN!
146. HighCountry_BruteForce Checked IN!
324. Big Country
101. teejay
155. War Eagle
263. Howler Checked IN!
93. BGHUNTER00 Checked IN!
123. wibowhntr
349. runninback44
221. Wonder Boy

There is the updated list of our team and who has checked in so far. I'll keep it updated as more of the guys come in and post that they are with us.

I did a full body mount on the pie balled, so I'll snap some pic's late this evening and get them sized and up for you to see.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-23-2006 11:06 AM

Has anyone Pm'd or emailed the remaining members?