Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread >

5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Good luck Howler. I was watching the weather channel last night and couldn't believe the weather change out there in the past two weeks. I was packing in in shorts two weeks ago now it's a blizzard! I wish I had the oppurtunity to go elk hunting as you do. It's hard to figure those guys out when you only chase them 7 days a year. Sometimes I feel like I'm just wondering around the mountains and don't have a clue about what I should be doing. I guess thats better than being at work.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well not much to report from here fellas. Just about a week down and nothing. I did have a young 7 point wander past me at 15 yds, but he was just a little guy. 120 lb deer. I am done hunting till Saturday now, then it will be 4 days at them again.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking like rain here till Sunday[:@]
Old 09-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, FINALLY broke my elk cherry. I left work at noon yesterday and got to the hunting area around 3'ish. Had about 2"-3" of snow on the ground and a light breeze with little snow showers on and off. I would be by myself, as the others have to work. So I headed to an area that seems to either have elk, or otherwise. There's one particular meadow that we hunt around that is about 400 yards wide and 600 yards long, and I decided to walk a circle around it to listen and look for fresh elk sign. First track I cut was a bear track. It was going the opposite direction and a couple hours old I figured, so thankfully I didn't have to watch over my back for it tobe trackin' me. I then cut a single fresh elk track. I started following it, and at first it seemed to be going some where in a hurry. After tracking it for a couple hundred yards, the tracks began to wonder and slow, so I also slowed my pace, and took my bow out of my sling. Well, the snow was wet and although good for tracking, was difficult to walk quietly through as it packed under foot and made noise. And it was this packing noise that spooked the elk from his bed about 30 yards ahead of me. He was laying along the edge of a very small brushy meadow, at the edge of some thick jack pine timber. I immediately started doing some lonely cow calling, and this brought him back some to investigate. I then knocked an arrow, as he seemed interested in having some "cow" company. As he worked closer, I could see he was small, BUT he looked to be legal, so I kept cow talkin' to him and finally he got to an opening at about 20 yards, and I drilled him. He didn't make it 60 or 70 yards. I looked at my GPS, and it was 1645 hours. By the time I field dressed him, got to where I had phone service to call my friend to come help, and for him to arrive, and to get the elk packed to the truck, it was about 2230 hours. So, now I've got elk to cut up tomorrow, luckfully, it's nice and cool and the meat will age just a little before I cut it up and freeze it. My friends wife shot a descent 6x6 last Monday, one other friend got his cow last weekend that I called in for him, so now there's only one of the four of us left to tag out this season, but he's got good snow now and the bulls that are around cowsare screaming, so if he puts some time in, he should get a shot yet too.

Our area has a 4 point restriction, or brow tines 5"+, so mine is legal by way of long brow tines!!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kick ass Howler!!!! I have always wanted to hunt the great Wapiti. We dont have Elk around here anymore. They have been gone since the 1800's.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job. It looked like a blast hunting in the snow like that. Every year I put in a lot of stand time in December(after rifle season) so that I can bow hunt in the snow. It makes for the best blood trails.

Now all you have to worry about is scoring on a big whitetail for the team, and you'll have had a great year.[8D]

But again, congrat's on the elk. Looks like the time you put in was well worth it.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

One nice thing about getting this elk/meat, is now I'll be able to concentrate on a big whitetail buck, and won't be looking at shooting any does this fall, well maybe one for good measure!!I might get to go back to KS. Halloween weekend, and then I've got Nov. 9th through the 19th off to hunt for a KS. buck.
If I can get a good buck, it will top off a great year that I started with a triple bearded turkey, then my doe antelope, now this elk, then just possibly a good whitetail buck. That would be the iceing on the cake for sure!!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right on howler go get them man. If the weather over would ever cooperate I would get out more. Looking forward to Halloween.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 weeks and I'll finally be on stand.....2 weeks and I can get out in the great outdoors for some squirrel hunting....still counting down the days....[&:]
Old 09-23-2006, 10:13 PM

Congratulations Howler on the elk. Not much action here in Wisconsin yet. Saw a 1 1/2 old buck this morning but that was it. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.