Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread >

5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Sorry, guys, just recovering from the season. Hunted hard this year and passed a few small ones that just weren't what I was looking for. Saw that nice nontypical the last thrusday of the season, then never saw another deer in 3 more hunts. Odd year my way. I used to see a ton of chasing mid day out the office window. Never once did I see a deer mid day this year. They went from small bucks chasing to the big bucks tending and there just wasn't alot of activity like I usually see.

Our season in PA is done and now I wait for Gun opener, the monday after TurkeyDay. If I have no luck, I may go back out with the bow behind the house and see what happens.

Congrats TeeJay on a nice buck and great story. Glad the hard work paid off.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I made it back home late last night from the farm in KS. And to get to the meat of the story, I came home with the same buck tag that I took with me[&:]I went back there for 10 days, but I hunted predators for 2 days, hunted upland birds for a few hours on 3 or 4 days, and I helped round up, sort, and work cattle for a day,then a half day to run some other errands. The weather was good for the most part, only one nasty windy day and one hot day. I got to see around 15 different bucks while on stand, and probably double that in deer without antlers. I had a goal of either a deer with around 140" or more, or no antlers at all. I finally shot a doe late last Friday evening, although I still got in the stand Sat. morning and eve. The largest buck I had an opportunity at was about a 125" to 130" 10 pointer, and I thought about it, even drew on him, BUT I know there are better deer back there, and I had a goal, and stuck with it. I got to see some good chasing action, even had a hot doe bed down 15 yards from my tree stand one morning with a nice 120" 8 pointer standing near by. I wish I could've contributed to the team, but I'm sure you guys all understand, at least I hope so.
BUT I did get to take a young turkey, a nice doe,(both with the bow),5 coyotes, 3 pheasant, and 5 quail on this trip. I saw 2 bobcats, but never got a shot opportuninty on either of them.
I also got to see a monster bodied 9 pointer, had a double brow on one side,thatmy 3 freinds and I all agreed would go at least upper 150's, and he was only about a 1/2 mile from my familys land. Thissighting pretty well kept my goal in mind and kept me from shooting any of the smaller bucks!
Congrats TeeJay on a fine buck, a well earned one at that. Good luck to the rest of you guys that are still working on having some success. I'm done with the bow for the season, and thecoyotes are now at the top of my list!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Spike

Sorry for the absence guys. After my second trip to Colorado I got addicted to reducing the 3+ hours of video and 500+ pictures down to a 90 minute DVD that I burned and carried to Louisiana with me for the holidays.

Congrats on the buck TeeJay. I have managed to get three does but have not seen a shooter buck as of yet. As my luck would have it, while I was in Louisiana one of my buddies took a 120" nine point off of a food plot that I had been hunting quite regularly. It was his first nice buck so I am very happy for him. Maybe I'll get to see the pictures this week.

The good part about hunting in Alabama is that I have 2 more months of season left but the bad part is that the rut is still six weeks away.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I was gone for the nine day WI gun season and only got a doe. I did pass up on a 2 1/2 yr buck on the last Saturday. Bowhunting started again today and goes through the beginning of January so hopefully I will find mister big before then.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodluck guys, no need to give up yet. I got the rest of this week with a rifle, then a doe season next week. Then muzzleloader after that. But I do have my bucknasty strings for my High Country, and I should have my new drenalin around the first of the year.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I catch it everyone threw the towel in huh.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Spike

It appears to be that way. I guess no one has faith in the few of us that still have some season left. I have spent the last several weeks hunting with my 11 yr old daughter and only been in the stand twice with my bow in the last month. December is typically a very slow time of year for us. We may get a little rutting action just before new years day but it is typically the last week or two of January before the action picks up. Until then, I'll keep checking on the board and update everyone if I manage to get one.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

I catch it everyone threw the towel in huh.
Not me......I am still without a buck, but I will be hitting Ohio once more, then Oklahoma, and South Texas. If I get out of Texas in time I will head back to Illinois to finish the season.

I ain`t giving up until the last day.[]
Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have faith in you guys!! Keep at it. It gets harder and harder to crawl out of bed when the activity is slow and whenit gets colder, but they are still out there. All those long cold days and early morningsare easily forgotten when you are holding that rack in your hands. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:08 PM

sorry i havn't posted but haven't had alot of time to hunt. my tranny went out in my truck then i put a car on its lid later that night about a week after that i got a doe with my rifle and i decided to let the place i hunt calm down because i hunted it pretty hard all season. But im going out there to camp for 3 days after christmas to see if i can get a buck. after that i dotn think ill have much more time to hunt. again sorry i havn't kept you updated through out the season. and best of luck to any of you still hunting.

Quick Reply: 5- Team "Tree Huggers" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.