Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread >

Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread

Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread

Just remember your aiming at the best.

Ona side note, I do wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Hopefully I'll be posting soon with a picture of a buck.

That's what I like to hear.

Well fellas........my opportunities are going to be as good this year as they have ever been I think. I just checked out a new spot today and it is SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!......and I just got permission for 3 joined properties that are reasonably close to my home (20 minutes) so I am pretty pumped for the season to get started. Still over 3 weeks away [:@]

I should have plenty of options by the looks of things and I usually spend a lot of hours in the woods so hopefully that will equal success.

Good luck to all............hunt hard and shoot straight and stay safe.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Hey folks,
There's a couple of properties that I'd like to ask permission to hunt, but I don't know the folks at all.

One of them is a business (nursery/gardening supplies/flowers) and the other is a small farm operation (mainly corn/peppers/pumpkins).

I know the ins and outs of asking permission (dress in clean street clothes, ask in person, etc..) but what I'm really not sure of is exactly how do you brooch the subject? I mean script it for me...

What if a woman answers the door, do you ask for her husband or not?
Do you just come right out and say, "I'm Chris and I'd like to bowhunt on your land?"
Do you make small talk?

These are people I've probably never met before or only met in passing. How do YOU do it?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't expect this advice all the time during a contest.

A nusery is the correct place you need to ask. You have two choices in my book. You can go there as a customer buying plants. If it's open to the public have you scouted it yet? Are there a lot of deer signs? All you need to look for are tracks and leaves missing around a perfect feed from the surrounding woods. If you see signsask if the deer are a nuisence. If it's a whole sale place then I'm sure they are a problem so just be direct.

Chances are that they are a problem and explain you bow hunt only. That you can be very discrete if it's a business day or only hunt on closed days. Don't be surprised if they mention damage tags. Also don't worry about it if it's the wife. I've found they watch the dollars as much as if not more then the men. They really want the deer gone if they are there.

I have other tips for you but you'll need to figure them out on you own, because it could mean a chance at the big boy. I wish you luck. It can be some of your best hunting.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys! I just got back from my trip to the "Occoneechee Lodge" in Jackson, N.C. Those guys are awesome!!! The land is a huge cotton farm. Where there is not cotton planted,, theres corn, or soybeans! And it's right on the Roanoke River! Beautiful hardwoods!!! I got one doe and my brother got two, we both saw a number of bucks and enjoyed watching them, none were either close enough for a shot or big enough! But the one's that were not close enough, were HUGE!!! We saw at least 7 P&Y bucks!!! Here's a picture of my doe, she's a pibald, short legs and all!!! Was about 100 lbs. Shot her at 39.5 yards. Now on to Mr. BIG!!
Trae

Old 09-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats...........looks like you put a nice shot on her!!!!

Here is a cam pic I got this morning of the smaller of the two eight pointers I've been seeing. The other one is way taller and a wider!!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:13 PM

Sweet shot Goose11! 40 yards eh?

Old 09-26-2005, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Goose 11

Hey guys! I just got back from my trip to the "Occoneechee Lodge" in Jackson, N.C. Those guys are awesome!!! The land is a huge cotton farm. Where there is not cotton planted,, theres corn, or soybeans! And it's right on the Roanoke River! Beautiful hardwoods!!! I got one doe and my brother got two, we both saw a number of bucks and enjoyed watching them, none were either close enough for a shot or big enough! But the one's that were not close enough, were HUGE!!! We saw at least 7 P&Y bucks!!! Here's a picture of my doe, she's a pibald, short legs and all!!! Was about 100 lbs. Shot her at 39.5 yards. Now on to Mr. BIG!!
Trae

Beautiful shot buddy..............very cool looking deer.

Continued luck and success for the season to come I hope.

Can you give me some more details about your trip.........I am always looking for first hand experience with outfitters.

Thanks...........and congrats again on a job well done.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Trembow

Hey folks,
There's a couple of properties that I'd like to ask permission to hunt, but I don't know the folks at all.

One of them is a business (nursery/gardening supplies/flowers) and the other is a small farm operation (mainly corn/peppers/pumpkins).

I know the ins and outs of asking permission (dress in clean street clothes, ask in person, etc..) but what I'm really not sure of is exactly how do you brooch the subject? I mean script it for me...

What if a woman answers the door, do you ask for her husband or not?
Do you just come right out and say, "I'm Chris and I'd like to bowhunt on your land?"
Do you make small talk?

These are people I've probably never met before or only met in passing. How do YOU do it?

Trembow,

I am not a big fan of the knocking on doors method........I have tried it and gotten some pretty poor reactions and actually been told I was being rude by disturbing people in their homes. Maybe it works great in other areas but around here I have had no luck with that approach at all. Maybe if I knocked on 100 doors I might get a few yes answers but if I wanted to do that I would be a salesman.

In my experience once someone knows you.......even a little then they are MUCH more accepting to being approached. There is just something about opening your land up to a total stranger that doesn't sit well with people. My suggestion would be to approach the nursery as a customer.......they may even let you hunt to just try and keep you spending money there.

I am just on guard 365 days a year.......when I hear of someone that even mentions something about land I immediately ask about hunting permission. I have landed 4 or 5 new spots this year that show a LOT of promise and I actually had a woman call me the other day and tell me she found me a place to hunt [] She didn't have anything of her own but remembered me asking and so she asked a friend who lives close by and this woman opened her land and both neighboring properties to me with the only condition being that I give her some venison. Nothing better then someone else getting you a spot to hang a stand

In my experience the best way to land a hunting spot is by being a nice guy........people feel much better about giving permission to someone they like and don't feel is taking advantage of them.

Good luck buddy!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Goose nice doe friend, good job. The season starts this weekend for me. I have to qualify friday night and race saturday night but will be out there hunting sunday. This is our last race of the year so i will be bow hunting alot in the next comming weeks. I have 6 different stands hanging so i hope it will go well. Good luck guy's.

Quick Reply: Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.