Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Community

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Team 1 thread

yeah i agree with the guys, if he is gobbling from side to side it means he is probably locked into a strut zone. If he's an old boy he knows all he has to do is stand there, look pretty, and gobble and the girls will come to him. The simple answer is to try to beat him to the spot. If that doesn't work see if you can figure out where he goes next, and try to get ahead of him. How late can you hunt there? sometimes by late morning into the afternoon the hens leave them and that stubborn bird becomes more callable. Does he have hens with him when he hangs up? sometimes you can call his hens in and he will follow. If that doesn't work and he does have hens with him you can try to scatter him like its the fall. If you can split him up from his hens he might be eager to meet back up with them and come to some calls. Are you using the same calls every time you work him? It might be just a matter of switching a call, sometimes I'll be out hunting and using a certain call that i think sounds good and wont hear a peep. But then switch to some squeaky old box call and all of a sudden the woods come alive with gobbles...some days they just like the sound of something different. Anyways I hope that's a little helpful, just keep at it and you'll be giving him a ride in the truck soon enough - Good luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Alright boys and girls. I'm headed out in the morning with the stick and string. Got some birds roosted so we'll see how it goes. I can't wait. I'm looking forward to reporting back with good news.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck this weekend guys.. I'll be away.. taking the wife to Vegas... leaving tomorrow AM. Our first "vacation" w/out kids since the honeymoon over 5 years ago!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Ok guys.

Shot one this morning with the old bow.

Left Spur 1"
Right Spurt 7/8"
Beard 10"
21 lbs. 2 oz.

Score is 59.875. Pics and maybe the video coming shortly!

Here's the pic. Trying to get the video loaded. It was awesome.

For those of you guys that wonder what broadhead to shoot turkeys with. I shoot thunderhead 85 grain broadheads and this is what they will do to a turkey.

Entrance wound.

Exit Wound

Old 04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Atta boy BB! Well dun! He is gonna be a good scoring bird with those stats!

I saw 5 Jakes today and got them no more than 5 tards from me and I passed! did shoot them on video tho and will try some You-Tube stuff when I ge home
Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the video of the hunt. Sorry for the two expletives. I get excited when I'm bow hunting turkeys!

http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/d...TurkeyHunt.flv
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

That's awesome man, nice bird! Super cool that you got it all on video too! Umm...what happened to that first arrow though? haha just kidding man it happens, Great hunt
Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

I believe in warning shots. That first one was a warning shot for the tom....warning that his death was very near.

Took my nephew on his first ever turkey hunt this afternoon too. Got a great video on that hunt too. Check it out under the main turkey hunting forum....title is "my nephew's first turkey hunt (video)".
Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Spike

HAHA! Warning shots huh?? That's what you call them?

That person running the video camera has some crazy mad skillz!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice!!! Great news as I am leaving for my trip...

Quick Reply: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.