Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Virginia public land?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Virginia public land?

Hey guys, does anyone know if Virginia has any public land near theFredericksburg area that's open toturkey hunting?Thanks! Simp
Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Virginia public land?

Go west young man.

Dang near the whole state west of Charlottesville is Washington and or Jefferson National Forrest.

There are a few WMAs that aren't lottery hunts.... and they are crowded... if you have ever hunted public in the east on the opening day of dove season... then you know what I'm talking about... serisously on the weekend don't waste your time or your fuel. Western part of the state... go anytime... its wide open and there are plenty of birds.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! I'll be visiting my BIL and SIL soon and am hoping to trick.....er, I mean, convince my wife to go during turkey season so I'll have a plan "B". I'll take a look at what area has to offer. Thanks again! Simp
Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

It would probably take you about an hour and a half from Fredericksburg, but there is public land in Madison County where I am from as well as Greene County. The Rapidan WMA has a few birds. Try the Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries website http://www.findgame.org/ and look for places closer to you. Good luck!!