Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Virginia Public Land - looking for any info on QUANTICO, THOMPSON, OR CF PHELPS >

Virginia Public Land - looking for any info on QUANTICO, THOMPSON, OR CF PHELPS

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Public Land - looking for any info on QUANTICO, THOMPSON, OR CF PHELPS

Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Virginia Public Land - looking for any info on QUANTICO, THOMPSON, OR CF PHELPS

Hey all. I have been living here for a little over a year. I am thinking about hunting on public land this year. My main concern is whether there are too many people hunting these already to have any success. I have heard horror stories about public lands where you cannot find a spot that isn't within sight of another hunter.

I am thinking about hunting on Quantico or on Thompson, and to a lesser extent CF phelps. Any insight at all on these would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Virginia Public Land - looking for any info on QUANTICO, THOMPSON, OR CF PHELPS

First Welcome Stonewall,

The wma's are just that best advice get in early and deep or mostly hunt weekdays IMO, Quantico is ok arrive early get in line always a certain percentage left over for Civillians.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Virginia Public Land - looking for any info on QUANTICO, THOMPSON, OR CF PHELPS

Virginia has a lot of good public hunting but it can be work. phelps and thompson are good, but can get crowded. Early season tends to be better on both. Quantico's bowhunting area is good and there is also Fort AP HIll too. Va just acquired another piece of land east of fredericksburg for hunting too. Check out all the WMA's on VDGIF website,its listed. Gettin lost in National Forest is always a good bet too (less access the better)
Old 09-08-2008, 10:37 AM

I used to hunt Thompson and took a couple of fairly nice deer out of it. My advice would be to access it from the gravel road that runs alont the top of Blue Mtn and hunt your way down. Lots more hunters down the ridge and they push the deer up in the morning. As I recall, there were some good spots along Lot 8.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you plan on hunting AP Hill, look forward to paying for a background check prior to being able to hunt, last check was 50 bucks, didn't matter if you were military or civilian.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the info!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

One more question. If I go out to scout around Thompson this weekend, is there any reason I couldn't bring my dogs? What about CCW? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

My buddy hunts Phelps alot. He has good seasonal success.
He also tells me Thompsonis packed on the weekend, the deer are young, smaller andhe does not feel safe.

Good Luck.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Spike

I hunt C.F.Phelps. It is not too crowded in early archery if you go in deep and get away from the access roads. During its gun season it is very crowded on the weekends and I won't even go out on the either sex rifle days because I would rather not get shot and it is extremely crowded. Late archery is not crowded. There is a forum for virginia the WMAs here is the link. www.wmahunters.org
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

When the sun comes up on opening day muzzleloader or gun, Phelps looks like a pumpkin patch. With that being said, there are a lot of deer there. We rabbit hunt there occasionally and the deer try to sneak out on us and get shot by other hunters. Quantico and Belvoir are decent spots in NOVA for public hunting as well, it's just not as convenient to hunt there as it is on private land.

Quick Reply: Virginia Public Land - looking for any info on QUANTICO, THOMPSON, OR CF PHELPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.