Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much twist?

Old 04-06-2004, 09:32 AM

Default How much twist?

I just put a new string and cables on my Hoyt HavocTec (single cam). How much twist should I put into the string and cables? My local proshop isn't the best place to ask technical questions. I asked the guy there and he told me 5 twists in each bc and 5 twists in the string. Just like he picked the number out the thin air. I am also not sure how many arrows I should put through it and add additional twists to compensate for stretch. It is a good thing I have all you smart guys to answer the important questions.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:17 AM

Default RE: How much twist?

When I make new custom strings and cables, I set up my jig so that they will be at specs with approximately 1.5 twists per inch. I twist them to this and tension them and measure to ensure I am on spec. I can then make small adjustments if required, but with practice, I can usually be just about on the money. I twist prior to applying the servings. Then I apply the servings in the same direction as the twist (i.e if from the left side I have twisted counter-clockwise, I will serve left to right going ccw or over and away from me).

I am not sure what type of string your shop put on your bow, but you need to check the A-A, brace and poundage to make sure they are all where they should be and twist as required to bring them to specs. A lot of shops still stock fastfligh strings of rather poor quality.

If your bow is set up the way you like it, then you should mark your cam(s) and change one string or cable at a time and ensure that you get it to the marks before removing the next one, that way you will maintain it the way it was.

I am a proponent of a twisted string as it evens out force on the strands, particularly when they go around cams. If you ever want to see just how much an affect it can have, take the idler serving off a 1-cam bow and untwist it and put the string on and draw it -- you will see some strands with a lot of tension and other limp.

Bottom line is there is no standard to twist (although some manufactures will sully a new string and tell you how many twists that new string should initially have -- Parker does this). You are going to have to twist to requirements (within reason) to get your bow to specs and in you cam(s) timed, synched, balanced or whatever you want to call it.

Too bad about your local shop.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:43 AM

Default RE: How much twist?

Rob, thanks for the reply. I think it is fair to say that your technical expertise is well beyond my own. The string and cables are direct replacements right from Hoyt. I had the shop order them since they stock very little. I have the manual for my bow but as you would suspect it does not mention anything about string twists. I am not sure if the string is prestretched or if it will continue to stretch over time. I think I have to go measure my bow like you suggested and see where it is at.