Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shooting trap tonight, what choke should I use? >

Shooting trap tonight, what choke should I use?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shooting trap tonight, what choke should I use?

Old 05-19-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Shooting trap tonight, what choke should I use?

I' m shooting trap tonight with my new Benneli M1 field semi-auto. I ussulaly use my O/U Beretta, but wanted to get a feel for my new duck gun. What choke tube would one recommend? The gun came with modified,improved cyl- ok for steel. And improved cyl and full for lead only. Can I shoot lead out of the modified-ok for steel choke?

I ussually shoot modified out of my O/U with lead shot. I will pick up a modified lead tube if I need to.

Any one help would be appreciated?

MATHEWSCONQUEST
Old 05-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting trap tonight, what choke should I use?

Use the Modified, if its o.k. for steel lead will be o.k. but the reverse of that situation will cause problems. I like to use Light Modified for 16 yard trap, but I pick them up pretty quickly. Modified should be plenty of choke back to say 22 yards, after that I like to tighten things up.

Gordon
Old 05-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot modified for standard trap. A full choke will smash the targets in alot more spectacular way, but there is less room for error and imho you are too close to get any advantage from a full. If you shoot handicap then full will be a better choice.

If you are just practicing for duck season, I would try them both. Shooting lead shot through a full choke will pattern similar to steel shot out of a modified choke.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-21-2003, 12:25 PM

Thanks guys. I shot trap for the first time with my Benelli semi-auto and took the advice I received from this post. We shot both rounds at 16 yards. I was a liitle weak on the crossing shots ( light weight 26" barrel) in the first round and shot a 15/25. The second round I focused on following through and not jerking back on the crossing shots and hit 19/25. I will probably shoot the Benelli next week to get more comfortable with it, but then go back to my Beretta O/U for trap.

Thanks again,
Mathewsconquest