Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Extreme Sights >

New Extreme Sights

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Extreme Sights

Old 07-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Extreme Sights

Just got hooked up with some new Extreme sights and they are as good as I had hoped for. Bright, small, and seem VERY durable.

I'm starting to get the itch now and wanted a change and wasn't real happy with my old sight so I decided to go buy me a new toy. Not sure what else I want to do other than I need to get some string silencers put back on it.

Just wanted to drop a postabout a great product
Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Extreme Sights

yea michael waddell seems to like his extreme sight
Old 07-07-2008, 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

Just got hooked up with some new Extreme sights and they are as good as I had hoped for. Bright, small, and seem VERY durable.
Last year I used an Extreme sight and was extremely disappointed in the durability. The fiberoptics broke very easily. It was a pain in the ass stopping in the middle of the mountains in Alberta to rethread them. Other than the durability, they were great. In fact, now that they made some changes and put in some new guards and supports for the fiberoptics, I put on on my new Katera. We'll see how it holds up this fall.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a model from when they first came out, like Dan, I wasn’t impressed. I replaced the FO and they are much brighter and hopefully more durable. Also my level popped off after only a couple months.
It seems like they’ve improved things from when they first came out.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

Last year I used an Extreme sight and was extremely disappointed in the durability. The fiberoptics broke very easily. It was a pain in the ass stopping in the middle of the mountains in Alberta to rethread them. Other than the durability, they were great. In fact, now that they made some changes and put in some new guards and supports for the fiberoptics, I put on on my new Katera. We'll see how it holds up this fall.
That's surprising Dan because Extreme's fibers were supposed to be the best out there. I've seen guys at trade shows take the Extreme fiber and tie it in a tight knot, and then untie it without any loss of light transmission. Now those were the new fibers they came out with after the beginning of last season so maybe you had some older less durable fibers, but I was impressed to say the least.

I did pick up an Extreme sight last year and was a bit disappointed with I ordered a left hand model and received a right hand model and was told that all I needed to do was "flip it upside down" thus putting the bubble level on top. To me, that is not a left handed sight. If I order what is described as a left handed sight I expect it to be just that, a left handed sight. Other than that, it is a good sight, but it's not on my bow. I'll give it to a right handed buddy of mine and he'll have a heck of a sight.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny - I'm in the market for a new sight right now and was reading a lot of reviews on Cabelas and other sites last night trying to figure out what I wanted to try out. There were two brands of sights that consistantly got negative reviews - Apex and Extreme. Needless to say, I have a feeling I'll stay away from these for sure.

Right now I'm leaning towards another CJ or a new Cobra.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

That's surprising Dan because Extreme's fibers were supposed to be the best out there. I've seen guys at trade shows take the Extreme fiber and tie it in a tight knot, and then untie it without any loss of light transmission. Now those were the new fibers they came out with after the beginning of last season so maybe you had some older less durable fibers, but I was impressed to say the least.
Bry, I got mine last June. I the problem was that there was no guard on the FOs. They were VERY susceptiable to getting caught on brush and either pulling out or breaking. I ended up having to put a light glove over them when I was walking in and out.....and even while still hunting going through brush. What size did you see them tie in a knot? I was using the .019.

Now, like I said earlier, I was impressed with the rest of the sight.....so impressed that since they made some changes to it, I bought a new one in April to use this year.I'll put it through the test up here in Canada this fall....hopefully the changes worked.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bry, I got mine last June. I the problem was that there was no guard on the FOs. They were VERY susceptiable to getting caught on brush and either pulling out or breaking. I ended up having to put a light glove over them when I was walking in and out.....and even while still hunting going through brush. What size did you see them tie in a knot? I was using the .019.

Now, like I said earlier, I was impressed with the rest of the sight.....so impressed that since they made some changes to it, I bought a new one in April to use this year.I'll put it through the test up here in Canada this fall....hopefully the changes worked.
Dan, I believe it was the .019. It was definitely not .029. Which model were you using that you had problems with?

Here is the one I have. http://www.extremearchery.com/rt1000.html

As you can see it looks like the fibers are very well protected in that model. Perhaps a little too well protected. I found that making windage adjustments away from the riser required you to work the little tube containing the fibers out a little to create some slack.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 AM

Dan, I believe it was the .019. It was definitely not .029. Which model were you using that you had problems with?

Here is the one I have. http://www.extremearchery.com/rt1000.html

As you can see it looks like the fibers are very well protected in that model. Perhaps a little too well protected. I found that making windage adjustments away from the riser required you to work the little tube containing the fibers out a little to create some slack.
Both the old one and the new one are the RT900.

Like I said, the new FO guard/supports should make a huge difference. I'm looking forward to dragging it through out the Canadian bush.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both the old one and the new one are the RT900.

Like I said, the new FO guard/supports should make a huge difference. I'm looking forward to dragging it through out the Canadian bush.
Good luck with it. I'm sure it will do a great job for you.