Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bear Hunt

Old 09-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I just found out they still have OTC tags for my unit for muzzleloader bear hunt. I'm going to go grab one now. I didn't think I was going to have a hunt in Sept, but this hunt starts next Sat.

Success for bear hunt is pretty low in my area, but i'll give it a try. Sure beats staying home.

I'll just keep my elk load of 370gr maxiball for the bear. I also have some Great Plains bullet 385 grain I might try too. I'm not fond of the hollow point on them for bear through. I'd prefer a bullet that penetrates better than one that expands fast. I have more faith in the maxiball. What do you guys think?
Good choice Muley...

First and foremost, good luck to you and I hope you get a bear! I prefer the Maxiball myself vs the Maxihunter (or other semi-hollow point conicals) for deer so I'm sure it's a good choice for bear, especially if you don't get the perfect shot you're hoping for. Those Maxiballs will plow through regardless. I have never shot a bear here in PA although we have some of the largest black bears killed in the lower 48 each year.

I noticed in our regulations pamphlet for 2014 that certain special regs. areas are allowing a black bear to be harvested during the early ML deer season, (which is antlerless only), but the chance of taking a bear in one of these highly populated areas is slim to none. If the state would allow my management unit to take a bear during the early ML season, I'd buy the tag. I may buy one anyway because they opened bear season for the first week of regular firearms season for my unit and I have seen bears on occasion during our first week of regular firearms season as well as in the early ML season.

What is the ML you're planning to use...if you don't mind my asking?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 09-08-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm using a Renegade Hunter. The only difference I can figure out with the Hunter model is it has a single trigger. I prefer that over the set trigger for hunting.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a feeling about this year, and thought it might be an early winter. My plan for elk was an OTC bull tag. The closest OTC unit is over a 12,500 ft pass. It closes every winter from snow. An early winter will close in earlier, and i'd have no hunt.

I'm not saying we're going to have an early winter, but it snowed last night in the mountains, and the elk hunt is 6 weeks away.

This is why I grabbed this bear tag. At least i'll have one hunt if the elk hunt doesn't work out.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

"over a 12,500 ft pass"......

Wow! I would love to someday be out in the woods hunting that type of country. South Central Michigan is great Whitetail habitat, but that type of hunting just sounds fun. Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Muley...

Make sure you post some pics. if you're successful and make sure you save that bear lard for your pies!

BPS
Old 09-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, not so good so far. I injured my knee a couple of weeks ago, and have been trying to take it easy hoping it would heal. I hunted Sat and Sun at high altitude. I knew some areas at 11,000ft that had some huckleberry bushes, and i was hoping I could sneak up on some bears feeding. I was really disappointed when I got to the bushes. They were dried up, and berries were gone. Lots of bear scat all over full of berries. So, the bears have come and gone.

I saw no fresh sign at high altitude, so i'm thinking the bears have moved lower for food. I just found out one was spotted around town. I live at 8000ft. My knee blew up, and is pretty swelled up today. I'm taking today off to rest my knee, but I can see it won't put up with any serious hiking.

The new plan is to start again tomorrow at lower altitudes, and try calling one in with a predator call. That way I won't have to hike so much. Everyone tells me to not call when i'm alone, because the bears will circle around, and come in behind me. I'll give it a try anyway. It's my only option.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear about your knee Muley.. I hope it heels well for you.. I know how much discomfort they can cause.. I am also sorry to hear about your hunting area being gone by right now.. I hope you have some great success to tell us all about..
Old 09-18-2014, 03:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was at 9000ft yesterday. I decided to try calling one in, because I was seeing some pretty fresh sign.

After calling steady for 40 minutes I saw one coming in at about 150yds. My range with my sidelock is 70yds max, and 50 yds more comfortable. He kept coming to about 100yds, and then started to circle me. He would stop now and then with his nose up. he was trying to catch my scent. He was a nice looking boar, and a blondish tan color. We get mostly color phase bears around here. A black one is rare.

I wish this had a happy ending, but it was only happy for the bear. He finally got behind me at 100yds, and caught my scent. he was gone.

I'm not sure how to beat this problem if it happens again. I had played the wind perfect, and was hoping he would have come straight into me, but he didn't. All I can do is try again, and hope it will come straight in.

Anyway, breakfast is done, and i'm off again. Hunting area is only 30 min away.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a pretty decent morning for you so far.. I have not seen much of any of the color phase bears up this way.. Mostly just black and with some white chest patches.. Good Luck to you on getting one.. It sounds like calling has worked somewhat for you..I really had no idea it could be done that way..