Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bear Hunt

Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bear Hunt

I just found out they still have OTC tags for my unit for muzzleloader bear hunt. I'm going to go grab one now. I didn't think I was going to have a hunt in Sept, but this hunt starts next Sat.

Success for bear hunt is pretty low in my area, but i'll give it a try. Sure beats staying home.

I'll just keep my elk load of 370gr maxiball for the bear. I also have some Great Plains bullet 385 grain I might try too. I'm not fond of the hollow point on them for bear through. I'd prefer a bullet that penetrates better than one that expands fast. I have more faith in the maxiball. What do you guys think?
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either one will work great. Black bears are easy to put down. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

No doubt with lung shots. However, calling in bears might not give me the perfect shot, and I might have to hit a shoulder. I'm worried about the Great Plains bullet which is soft lead compared to the maxi, and a hollow point that might flatten too fast to get into the vitals.

I might be worrying for nothing. Just being cautious when it comes to bears. I won't have a 2nd shot.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck on your bear hunt.. Yes some bears will go down easy while others will take a lot of lead before they will fall. Hopefully it will be a one shot kill.. Let me know how that calling worked out for you..
Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Spike

Muley Hunter , I killed a bear here in Arkansas a few years ago with my 45cal Knight an a 225gr PB dropped in its tracks . With that being said you should be fine with your load.
Good luck on your hunt.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muley, I have taken several with PRB so your big bullets should have no problem.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just in case I run into a big one is why I don't want to use a PRB.

Not far from me a 703 lb black bear was killed.

I'll be alone at almost 72 years old up at 11,000 ft in dark timber on the ground. With nobody within miles of me. I'd like to make sure the first shot is all I need.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Food luck with your hunt. It sounds very exciting.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
Food luck with your hunt. It sounds very exciting.
Thanks. I thought you'd be mad at me after the other thread. Good to see you're not.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.