HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear Hunt
Thread: Bear Hunt
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Well, not so good so far. I injured my knee a couple of weeks ago, and have been trying to take it easy hoping it would heal. I hunted Sat and Sun at high altitude. I knew some areas at 11,000ft that had some huckleberry bushes, and i was hoping I could sneak up on some bears feeding. I was really disappointed when I got to the bushes. They were dried up, and berries were gone. Lots of bear scat all over full of berries. So, the bears have come and gone.

I saw no fresh sign at high altitude, so i'm thinking the bears have moved lower for food. I just found out one was spotted around town. I live at 8000ft. My knee blew up, and is pretty swelled up today. I'm taking today off to rest my knee, but I can see it won't put up with any serious hiking.

The new plan is to start again tomorrow at lower altitudes, and try calling one in with a predator call. That way I won't have to hike so much. Everyone tells me to not call when i'm alone, because the bears will circle around, and come in behind me. I'll give it a try anyway. It's my only option.