Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300g 45 caliber XTP >

300g 45 caliber XTP

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300g 45 caliber XTP

Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300g 45 caliber XTP

Judging by reports, this bullet has killed a pile of deer. This morning some of these 300g XTP were shot into a light, but swirly breeze. It seemed to me they did well.

Over the years i have kinda stayed away from these XTP, because they, according to Hornady, have a low BC, when compared to the XTP magnums, the Deep Curls, and the Noslers. However, today, they appeared to fly as well, or better than the Deep Curl, and the Nosler. The scope setting was never changed when shooting the different bullets. It should be mentioned, the far left Deep Curl was pushed by the strongest gust of the morning. The furthest left XTP, was pushed left, by a weaker right to left swirly gust. At any rate, since it is in stock, it may very well may be, the 300g 45 caliber XTP is a worthy substitute for the 300g Deep Curl. To my knowledge, no one can find the Deep Curl anywhere.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good shoot'n of both.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

The gentlemen that developed the Savage smokeless live about 30 minutes up the road from me here in NC...The elder is gone but the son still posts regularly on the NC hunting website...He says they developed the Savage around the .300 XTP Hornady in that .45 caliber...They go down east each year and he has killed some deer at ridiculous ranges...It seems to work well for him...

I shoot the .429 simply because the ballistic coefficient is better than the .45...It works as well...
Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

At any rate, since it is in stock, it may very well may be, the 300g 45 caliber XTP is a worthy substitute for the 300g Deep Curl.

Not even close in on game performance... but it is available. I would go with the Sierra .458x300 grain long before the XTP. The 458 Sierra is a proven 45-70 rifle bullet.

.45 Caliber (.458) (.45-70) 300 gr. HP/FN (50 bullets)

Sierra offers a single flatnose bullet in this 45 caliber specifically for the 45-70 bore size. It may be used in rifles or handguns with a .458 inch bore, but it must not be used in handguns with .451 or .454 inch bore size.

Sierra introduced this bullet in 1973 - the 100th year of the 45-70 cartridge. Now, decades later, this old cartridge is still growing in popularity and justifiably so. Adequate for any game in North America and offered in several modern firearms, this old cartridge is just plain fun. The bullet is unique in that it expands well at modest 1873 Springfield velocities or at the more powerful full charge velocities that can be loaded in stronger action types, such as the Ruger No. 1 and No. 3 and Marlin lever actions. Accuracy is excellent, and it feeds reliably through all types of magazines and actions. It can be used in the 458 Winchester Magnum cartridge, but muzzle velocities should not exceed 2500 fps.

For handguns, this bullet was designed to expand reliably even at 1300 fps. It is a perfect match for the T/C Contenders and similar handguns chambered for the 45-70 cartridge. Dependable expansion and excellent accuracy make this Pro-Hunter bullet a good choice for most hunting situations.

The next best choice would be the Sierra .451x300 grain

.45 Caliber (.4515) 300 gr. JSP
Despite its "soft point" title, this 300 grain #8830 Jacketed Soft Point (JSP) SportsMaster is the single hardest bullet Sierra has produced. Utilizing a 6% antimony, 4% tin, 90% lead alloy core, this 300 grain JSP will expand only on the toughest game when driven at absolutely top-end velocities. Intended primarily for the strongest 45 Colt revolvers (Freedom Arms, Dan Wesson, and Ruger revolvers), the single-shot T/C Contenders and the 454 Casull revolvers, this bullet is an excellent selection for the heaviest game on any handgunner's agenda. Because of its length and solid construction, this bullet cannot be used in Colt Single Action Army revolvers or their modern reproductions. This bullet was introduced by Sierra in 1994.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default XTP or Sierra

Well i looked around for some of them Sierra, and couldn't find any; didn't look all day.

The XTP Magnum would work just fine for elk, but most probably are only hunting deer, is why i figured the XTP would/could substitute for the Deep Curl. Lucky you, get to hunt elk. Alas, me, i no longer am able to hunt elk, because i am no longer a legal resident of Montana, thus the XTP will/can work fine for myself, and many/most others. Myself, i never considered them before, because i had no idea they flew so well.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

While I think the Deep Curl is a better bullet, I haven't had any deer walk away from the 300 grain XTP. But then, I haven't had any walk away from a .54 round ball either.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-17-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I never shot game with a sabot/bullet for that matter. But I do like to shoot the .452 300 grain XTP. They seem to shoot very well in my fast twist rifles.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
I never shot game with a sabot/bullet for that matter. But I do like to shoot the .452 300 grain XTP. They seem to shoot very well in my fast twist rifles.
Same here as well as the .429" variety.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good shootin' first of all.

Second of all, I've killed quite a few deer with both of the bullets you just shot and I could tell ZERO difference in how lethal they were. Almost all deer with both bullets ran less than 50 yards and left good blood trails.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 300grn XTP in my opinion is way over kill for Deer size game. The 200 and 250grn XTP is all you need for Deer. I have shot a lot of Deer with all three weights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.