Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 How old to hunt by yourself? >

How old to hunt by yourself?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

How old to hunt by yourself?

Old 09-10-2003, 04:22 PM

Default RE: How old to hunt by yourself?

Hey DoubleLung I am from PA as well...never heard of Irwin though. I am only 14 now but even when I am old enough to go by myself I won' t. That is just not smart. There are too many things that can happen. Don' t get me wrong, things can still happen with other people around, but at least someone will be able to get help. Hunting small game in groups is more fun, anyway.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:51 PM

Plinker, i agree. Hunting small game and birds i like to do with other people, otherwise its not as fun. Still fun, but not quite as enjoyable as it would be with some buddies. Deer on the other hand, i want to be by myself and completely by myself. My mom and dad are always like, " Have someone go." And most of the time a buddy will go and hunt somewhere near by, but other than that its solo. Plus, bein in high school, deer hunting is my cheap theropy. lol.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:40 PM

hi i am ronnie its 16 here in ky bt i been hunting by myself sence i was 10 an now i am 17 an my 18 b-da is during modern gun season
Old 09-15-2003, 07:51 PM

[]Deerslayer, How the hell did you shoot 8 deer in 2 years?!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:33 PM

I grew up within 10 miles of downtown Boston. My Dad didn' t hunt, but My Granddad and Uncle did. I was allowed to hunt squirrels and rabbits with a Sheridan Blue Streak (even alone) at age 11. By 13 the folks let me go deer hunting with my Uncle, but bow only. Massachusetts gun laws are very strict, as were my folks. By 16, it was grouse and waterfowl with shotgun, but still only bow for deer. (cuz I got pretty good at it and enjoyed it a great deal.) After 10 more years treading the mountains of Vermont, Maine and N.H. I packed up and headed West to Colorado on my own. The rest has been a very fortunate history in the Rockies. I now have 9 year old twin boys, and they are just maturing enough to handle their own small bows (target only) They' ve tried the.22 rifle, a 12 ga and even the 7mm Mag on targets. For now, the bows are just fine, and they like to come along for Blue Grouse and Rabbit outtings. (They talk too much to go with Dad after deer and Elk) I think when a kid shows interest and maturity enough to learn woodcraft and foremost, SAFETY, they should be allowed to participate in some capacity. Hunting is good for kids who choose to persue it. As adults, we owe it to all of you to ensure that you get that chance.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure on the legal age to hunt alone here. I wont let my daughter hunt alone (if she hunts) until she is mature enough that might be 10,12,20,30 years old.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:14 PM

gotta be 16 to hunt alone here but i went out myslef cause my parents really weren' t into hunting. till i got a warning from the game warden. then i always took an adult along which was maybe a good idea now that i look back at it
Old 09-28-2003, 07:26 PM

16 to hunt by yourself but you have to have someone 18 if you hunt mourning dove.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:25 PM

14 bowhunt, 16 rifle hunt big game, and no limit for small game. I hunted small game at 10, got my first deer last year with my bow w/ my 21 YO friend along.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Spike

In NY it depends on how old you are, if you need someone with you and how old they also need to be. NY kinda sucks for deer hunting anyways because you have to be 16 to hunt them with a gun. small game starts when you' re 12, and I think you need someone over 21 until you' re 14, then you' re supposed to have someone over 18 and bow hunters (starts at 14 need) someone over 18 until they are 16 I think 16&17 yr olds need to have someone over 18 to hunt deer with a gun or muzzleloader

Quick Reply: How old to hunt by yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.