Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
What makes a great hunter? >

What makes a great hunter?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

What makes a great hunter?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Spike

Default What makes a great hunter?

Hello. I am merely here to gather opinions and information based on this question. I ask this question because I am not experienced in hunting in any way except for what I see on TV.

I am working on a school project researching different hobbies/occupations where I will gather people's opinions and thoughts on different subjects. This is in no way to create a guideline as to what makes a great hunter.

I am asking here in this forum because 1) This was number 1 on the Google search list, so it is popular and 2) after reading the comments and thoughts of other posts, I've decided that this is a great place to hear opinions without great threat of Internet trolling. I've decided to place this question in this board because it was the most general topic I thought I found in the forum and because I'm green to hunting itself.

So, now to the question itself: What makes a great hunter?
Does it involve skill, technique, instinct?
Does it matter by region, religion, or politics?
Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters?
How are hunting valued in your life?
Does equipment matter?

I hope that I can receive great info on this topic, and will be sure to credit this board in due time.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

So, now to the question itself: What makes a great hunter? Can be anything from the location and property you are hunting to your work ethic.
Does it involve skill, technique, instinct? Yes. All of the above. Skill in the fact that you have to practice shooting and calling and being patient and quiet.
Technique in the fact that there is many different ways of hunting. From sitting in a stand over a food plot, to putting on drives and running deer with dogs.
Instinct in the fact that deer and other animals are like humans meaning there is not "set rule" everytime. While deer are predictable at times, you can never be 100% sure on what might happen, so instinct can play a huge role.
Does it matter by region, religion, or politics? Region would matter as to what game animal you are hunting I suppose. You obviously can't hunt white tail deer if there are not white tail deer in your area.
Some religions restrict hunting or what people are allowed to eat so I suppose that could have an affect.
Politics control hunting seasons, costs, and regulations... hunting has to follow the laws and politics control laws.
Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters? There may be, I don't pay much attention to "professional hunters". I would guess it's more of a respect thing than an actual stated ranking system.
How are hunting valued in your life? Hunting is huge in my life. It gives me time to connect with my family and friends. It gives me time in the woods where I love to be. It's one of my favorite things to do and it is very refreshing to spend a day in the woods and get out of the hustle and stress of daily life.
Does equipment matter? Yes, shoot a deer with a gun, or chase it down with a knife? Obviously equipment matters.

Hope this has helped.
-Jake
Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

[quote=tropicon;3447955]

Does equipment matter?

quote]

First off every hunter will give you different answers on all questions. But one thing that we will all agree on is that it takes a lot of heart and dedication to be come a great hunter. It isn't something that just happens.

As for ranking, there is really no system. Elder hunters that have been hunting longer are at the highest order and from their it is just more based on respect.

Hunting in my life, and this is where you will get different answers, is absolutely everything. My family hunts, my friends hunt, my pets are even bred hunting dogs. That isn't to say that I don't take a break every now and again and pursue other hobbies. But for the most part unless previously engaged with another opportunity I will hunt at the drop of a hat.

As for equipment, to some it matters to others it doesn't. For the first few years I was hunting my dad used a 40+ year old side by side 12 gauge for bird hunting and still uses the 30+ .30-.30 bolt and 7mm for deer and hogs and Audad. For example, one thing that I like to have, but not everyone else, is a really good pair of Binoculars.(sp?) So in a short version equipment is essential, but not necissarily the type of equipment, if it's reliable, sturdy, and works well for you then that is all that matters.

And region does play a very big role in the type of hunting and the size of the animal. Religion is a little bit more touchy, some religions in the world say some animals are sacred therefore it would go against it to kill that particular animal. Politics are more and more playing a role in hunting. What with new regulations and all that kind of stuff.

I'd write more now but I have to get to class and I have a puppy that is tryin to get used to the crate. This is a great forum to learn about hunting, you might also try the deer hunting part at the top of the main screen, there are a lot of knowledgeable hunters there.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=tropicon;3447955]So, now to the question itself: What makes a great hunter? simple, one with dedication. one that dedicates spending time in the woods scouting for the best area to set up a stand. one that dedicates time to shooting making sure that he puts the best possible shot on his animal when that moment of truth comes. however there are always variables. i know some of the best hunters around that strugle to kill a deer every year and they spen more time working at it than anyone i know simply cause of where they have to hunt. but one of the biggest....is the one WHO RESPECTS THE SPORT, AND THE ANIMAL!
Does it involve skill, technique, instinct? hunting involves all of these. skill, must be able to navigate the woods in the dark, must be able to walk softly, be as quiet as possible, shooting, stand set up...all crucial and things that must be learned. technique, that is the major one, especially in bow hunting, as they have to hold the bow the same way everytime, look down the sight the same way everytime, find the same anchor point everytime, but is also very important to gun hunters as well. instinct, absoultly! however just cause you think you dont have the instinct doesnt mean you cant learn to get it. you must have an idea on where the deer are going to be coming from and where they will be heading toward based upon the surounding landscape and area, and all that changes based on time of day, season, weather, and other variables.
Does it matter by region, religion, or politics? yes. region is the biggest. i mean you arent guna hunt wolf in texas. so region is a huge factor. region effects season length, bag limit, and things of that nature. religion...not me directly, but for some it may...better question for someone other than me. and politics are a huge factor...or could become one. they do currently effect, season length, gun prices, shell prices, tag prices. they could effect so much more if they try to put even more restrictive laws on guns and ammunition.
Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters? there is in my deer camp.. but its simple...the one who has hunted the longest, the one who never seems to miss and has the most in woods knowlege to pass down to everyone else.
How are hunting valued in your life? hunting is valued highly in my life. hunting is alot more than just murderers that kill inocent animals. for me it has a much deeper meaning than alot of ppl. ever could guess. but each hunter has there very own reason for hunting.
Does equipment matter? YES! however not in the way most would think. equipment matters, as to how it matches up with them. for example i shoot a 139 dollor shotgun for deer. i have killed 9 deer with that shotgun. i have tried other shotguns while sighting in my gun, and i just always seem to shoot better with that cheap shotgun than i do with any of the more expensive guns. obviously if you are hunting in a place such as colorado you are guna need some good binoculers. its all about having the right equipment for your area. and about making sure that you are very comftroble with your equipment

this place is one of the best places to recieve information no matter what the question related to hunting. the one thing i just always say to add a deminsion to remember. deer vehicle collisions are at an all time high, deer are the most addaptable animals, thus the reason they are the united states most hunted big game animal. they are all across the united states. if we stop hunting them, imagine how many more deer car accidents there will be. last year alone illinois killed over one hundred thousand deer in there 3 day shotgun season. imagine having that many more deer running around the streets...imagine half of them having at least one or 2 babies. there is already a disease called CWD, (cronic wasteing disease) the cause is over population. hunting is more than a hobby...but also catches more flack than abortion.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

To be a great hunter is to be a student of nature and the prey you are after. The objective, if you are a "great hunter" is to kill your prey as quickly and efficiently as possible with as little suffering to the animal as possible. Region, politics, weapons, ethics, methods are off great significants in the fact that they are all interrelated in someway but ultimately a keen understanding of one's prey and efficeincy in the method used are what make a great hunter
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

follow me if you want to be schooled by the best of the best...........
Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

What makes a great hunter? I feel that a great hunter is a person who enjoys their time in the wild even if they dont get their animal. If all you are out there for is the killing then to me you are not a 'great hunter'

Does it involve skill, technique, instinct? Hunting involves alot of all three. A person truly dedicated to the sport spends off seasons reloading and shooting, practicing calling, scouting, working on their property, ect. Technique comes with experience in the field, as does instinct. All are necessary to be a SUCCESSFUL hunter, which is different then a great hunter.

Does it matter by region, religion, or politics? Regions change what your hunting, and when you are hunting. It can also make you more successful then others, take me in CA, it is rare for me to get a deer because of how few bucks there are(we cant kill does). Religion can change what people may hunt, how they may hunt, and what part of the animals they are allowed to eat. Politics affect hunters greatly. Politicians try to dictate what weapons and ammo may be used, they put taxes on all equipment, and decide the price for licenses tags and stamps.

Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters? I dont pay attention to professional hunters...

How are hunting valued in your life? I have grown up hunting with everyone in my family, duck and goose with my dad, deer and turkey with both parents. My sisters both hunted before me, but have dropped out. Hunting is one of my favorite things to do in life, to the point that if i had to describe myself in one word, it would be 'hunter'

Does equipment matter? Equipment matters to some people, such as bow hunters who hate gun hunting, but to me it does not matter as long as no one accuses me of being less of a hunter for using a rifle for deer, and a shotgun for turkey
Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skybuster20ga
follow me if you want to be schooled by the best of the best...........
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tropicon
Hello. I am merely here to gather opinions and information based on this question. I ask this question because I am not experienced in hunting in any way except for what I see on TV.

I am working on a school project researching different hobbies/occupations where I will gather people's opinions and thoughts on different subjects. This is in no way to create a guideline as to what makes a great hunter.

I am asking here in this forum because 1) This was number 1 on the Google search list, so it is popular and 2) after reading the comments and thoughts of other posts, I've decided that this is a great place to hear opinions without great threat of Internet trolling. I've decided to place this question in this board because it was the most general topic I thought I found in the forum and because I'm green to hunting itself.

Does equipment matter?

I hope that I can receive great info on this topic, and will be sure to credit this board in due time.
What makes a great hunter? Alot of things. Time. Skill. Location. Effort. Luck.

Does it involve skill, technique, instinct? All 3, without a doubt.

Does it matter by region, religion, or politics? Region, Yes. Fact, more P&Y deer are killed in Ohio then Florida. Religion, at first glance, no. Maybe someone with more understanding of lesser known religions will find an answer. Politics, yes. Earn a buck. Antler restrictions. Season dates, times, zones. All come in to play.

Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters? Of course. Pope and Young. Boone and Crockett. Buckeye Big Buck Club. Bigger is better, we all keep score even if we act "tough" and say we dont. Its a fact.

How are hunting valued in your life? Hunting is very important to me.

Does equipment matter? Most definitely, to a point.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your first name has to be Chris. And you have to eat the heart of a baby llama. Its the only way you'll ever be a TRUE hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.