HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What makes a great hunter?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Siman08/OH
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tropicon
Hello. I am merely here to gather opinions and information based on this question. I ask this question because I am not experienced in hunting in any way except for what I see on TV.

I am working on a school project researching different hobbies/occupations where I will gather people's opinions and thoughts on different subjects. This is in no way to create a guideline as to what makes a great hunter.

I am asking here in this forum because 1) This was number 1 on the Google search list, so it is popular and 2) after reading the comments and thoughts of other posts, I've decided that this is a great place to hear opinions without great threat of Internet trolling. I've decided to place this question in this board because it was the most general topic I thought I found in the forum and because I'm green to hunting itself.

So, now to the question itself: What makes a great hunter?
Does it involve skill, technique, instinct?
Does it matter by region, religion, or politics?
Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters?
How are hunting valued in your life?
Does equipment matter?

I hope that I can receive great info on this topic, and will be sure to credit this board in due time.
What makes a great hunter? Alot of things. Time. Skill. Location. Effort. Luck.

Does it involve skill, technique, instinct? All 3, without a doubt.

Does it matter by region, religion, or politics? Region, Yes. Fact, more P&Y deer are killed in Ohio then Florida. Religion, at first glance, no. Maybe someone with more understanding of lesser known religions will find an answer. Politics, yes. Earn a buck. Antler restrictions. Season dates, times, zones. All come in to play.

Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters? Of course. Pope and Young. Boone and Crockett. Buckeye Big Buck Club. Bigger is better, we all keep score even if we act "tough" and say we dont. Its a fact.

How are hunting valued in your life? Hunting is very important to me.

Does equipment matter? Most definitely, to a point.