HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What makes a great hunter?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

So, now to the question itself: What makes a great hunter? Can be anything from the location and property you are hunting to your work ethic.
Does it involve skill, technique, instinct? Yes. All of the above. Skill in the fact that you have to practice shooting and calling and being patient and quiet.
Technique in the fact that there is many different ways of hunting. From sitting in a stand over a food plot, to putting on drives and running deer with dogs.
Instinct in the fact that deer and other animals are like humans meaning there is not "set rule" everytime. While deer are predictable at times, you can never be 100% sure on what might happen, so instinct can play a huge role.
Does it matter by region, religion, or politics? Region would matter as to what game animal you are hunting I suppose. You obviously can't hunt white tail deer if there are not white tail deer in your area.
Some religions restrict hunting or what people are allowed to eat so I suppose that could have an affect.
Politics control hunting seasons, costs, and regulations... hunting has to follow the laws and politics control laws.
Is there a sort of ranking system among professional hunters? There may be, I don't pay much attention to "professional hunters". I would guess it's more of a respect thing than an actual stated ranking system.
How are hunting valued in your life? Hunting is huge in my life. It gives me time to connect with my family and friends. It gives me time in the woods where I love to be. It's one of my favorite things to do and it is very refreshing to spend a day in the woods and get out of the hustle and stress of daily life.
Does equipment matter? Yes, shoot a deer with a gun, or chase it down with a knife? Obviously equipment matters.

Hope this has helped.
-Jake