Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Grass is killing my plots

Old 04-02-2005, 05:05 AM
Spike

Default Grass is killing my plots

I have two clover and three alfalfa plots. The are doing great except for grass. It's everywhere. Can anyone help. I heard about Vantage on another post but the company, BASF told me they have discontinued it. They said Arrest herbicide replaced it. But can't find it.

Anybody got a lead for me to follow.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Grass is killing my plots

I READ WHERE VANTAGE WAS BEING DISCONTINUED. I THINK THE WHITETAIL INSTITUTE HAS THE ARREST. I READ ABOUT IT IN THEIR MAGAZINE BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THEY SELL IT OR WERE JUST GIVING INFO.

I USED THE VANTAGE AND IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME LAST YEAR.

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER. I HAVEN'T LOOKED AT MY PLOTS IN 5 WEEKS.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Spike

I used Vantage in my clover plot two years ago, and it worked great. I will have to do the same this year though, as some grass started taking over last year. You can find Vantage at www.pestproducts.net. The price is 22.50 per pint. This will take care of approximately 1/2 acre of land. You say that you heard that they stopped making it, but it is still listed on this web site for sale. I will have to order some, just in case this is the last batch available. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

you can also buy other versions of sethoxydim. poast and some other stuff called "hi-yield grass killer".
Old 04-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the info guys. I called the Whitetail Institute and they had the Arrest herbicide in pints and gallons. After checking around there was not more than 50 cents difference between prices. I got it off the websitee.

They also confirmed what I had heard. After the Vantage that is left from last year is gone the Arrest will take its place.