Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Please help- Clover question

Old 04-01-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Please help- Clover question

Okay - I am ready to plant one of my plots with clover - ph and fertilizer are good - My local COOP has red clover and Lespedeza clover in stock - The Lespedeze only comes in a 50 lb bag (1$ per lb) - the red clover is in bulk and can buy it by the lb ($1.60/lb) - Is one of these better than the other - or should I look for Ladino or a blend - How much of each should I get to do 1 acre -

Thanks
Mike
Old 04-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please help- Clover question

Things are different in different parts of the country -

But I would buy 3 lbs of Red/acre - Skip the Lespedeza - and get 6 lbs of ladino, or similar white clover - to mix with the red per acre.

Lespedeza - is usually an annual I think. So if you mix it in - it will be gone after 1 or 2 years. Ladino lasts for about 5 years, and Red about 2 years.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:40 AM

I agree, but I personal believe in blends. There is no magic, do all mix or plot. Remember the old saying don't put all your eggs in one basket. Different plants annuals and perrinals are good in a mix, because annuals grow faster which helps establish the plot, also will take the browse pressure off your perrinals in the mix letting them establish. The draw back will an annual only plot is the cost. I like annual only plot as you can test and see what works in your area from season to season. On the other hand a good perrinal plot is a must for the longevity of your QDM project and over time will be the lowest cost plot you can maintain. My two pennies.

Till our trails cross,
WW
Old 04-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't think u can go wrong with a mix of Ladino & red clover