Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

River Bottom attraction

Old 03-25-2005, 04:00 AM

Default River Bottom attraction

I have a river bottom situation that I need some help with. The ground I have available is low river bottom ground w/ very rich soil. The problem is the river will flood this ground usually 2-3 times annually, with the water commonly up for a week or two. There is a levy that usually stays above water that offers a good but small area to plant a small food plot. What I am wondering, is what (if anything) is highly liked by deer, and that can w/stand water on it for a while. I realize a traditional food plot is probably out of the question, but what about certain types of shrubs, honeysuckle, ???. There are also a few spots that don't stand water like the majority of the ground but, may be very wet for a while, what kind of food plot plantings do well in damp conditions?? The habitat is already in place, I just need to offer some food sources to help keep the deer on this property when dry. Please HELP!!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:41 AM

Default RE: River Bottom attraction

You might want to try planting some hostle plants. I work for a landscaping company and we plant them in some pretty wet areas. Hostle is like deer crack. We always have to replace the plants because the deer go crazy on them. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 AM

Default RE: River Bottom attraction

I think you're right about conventional plots. Wet soil for the most part will induce root rot and the plot will in a sense drown if wnder water for a week. If you own the land and are thinking long term I'd consider planting mast producing trees. It won't happen overnight but it would be a good farsighted goal.

Although you may have trouble planting plots here I'd gladly trade some high ground in Maine for a crack at your riverbottoms as there are now. From you signature pics it looks pretty productive.